none
Replication of VMs with shared VHDX is not supported RRS feed

• Question

• A typical Microsoft half baked solution (shared vhdx) - can use them, but nothing else, no backup, no replication.

Obviously for DR purposes that is unacceptable!

How can I DR my environment offsite when it is not possible? All my services (File/print/sql/mis) run on 2012 R2 clusters spread across different hosts

Any ideas?

Seb

Saturday, July 9, 2016 6:56 AM

All replies

• A typical Microsoft half baked solution (shared vhdx) - can use them, but nothing else, no backup, no replication.

Obviously for DR purposes that is unacceptable!

How can I DR my environment offsite when it is not possible? All my services (File/print/sql/mis) run on 2012 R2 clusters spread across different hosts

Any ideas?

Seb

1) Veeam supports shared VHDX. See:

8 Gems in Veeam Availability Suite V8 – Part 8: Hyper-V

https://www.veeam.com/blog/8-gems-in-veeam-availabilty-suite-v8-part-8-hyper-v.html

"

Support for shared vhdx files

One of the coolest new features to come from Hyper-V in Windows Server 2012 R2 is the ability to use a shared vhdx file and build a cluster of virtual machines around this shared vhdx file. Before shared vhdx the only options for clustering in Hyper-V were to build guest clusters in Hyper-V, which did not have any true shared resources, or to cluster the Hyper-V host machines. Clustering Hyper-V hosts feels like a hold over from the days of client server and physical hardware dependence. There is a shared physical hard drive and true high availability (HA) is achieved by defining the nodes and resources in a working failover cluster using Windows Server 2012 R2’s Cluster Manager and Cluster Verification tools. There is no capacity in this scenario to rely on, or make use of, resource pools, or the benefits of scalability and elasticity that are so desirable in virtual/cloud infrastructure designs."

2) Get rid of a shared VHDX and use good old software iSCSI SAN ;)

Cheers,

Anton Kolomyeytsev [MVP]

StarWind Software Chief Architect

Profile:   Blog:   Twitter:   LinkedIn:  

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Sunday, July 10, 2016 9:33 PM
  • Shared VHDX is compatible with Hyper-V Replica in Windows Server 2016

Thanks!
    Elden

Sunday, July 10, 2016 10:44 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Seb,

Elden is correct, it would be available in Server 2016:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-sg/library/dn765471.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#BKMK_shared

Currently, it is not supported on Server 2012 R2.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 11, 2016 4:53 AM
  • Anton, please if you contribute, do something useful (do not just type/paste whatever)

While Veeam does support shared vhdx backup (another bit that MS can not do with own software!?!) it does not support shared vhdx replication

Also using iSCSI for sharing data in VM is NOT the most exciting way (but you might feel different)

Also iSCSI for DR is NOT an option with DR site linked by WAN

So it seems that currently there are NO provisions for DR with Hyper-V 2012 R2 if one uses shared vhdx?

Monday, July 11, 2016 8:10 AM
  • THAT is NOT AN ANSWER.

It states that some future product might have this functionality!

Monday, July 11, 2016 12:07 PM
  • Hi Scerazy,

Windows Server Backup could backup the system to a remote folder.

You could run it inside the VM and choose a remote folder to store the backup. Schedule the backup at the time when workload is low.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 2:17 AM
  • Why bother to answer something that is not related to the question?

Of course one can backup, but that is not an instant DR (just small part of it)

Why would I use WSB over Veeam? Definitely a NO

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 5:52 AM
  • Hi Scerazy,

>>Why bother to answer something that is not related to the question?

Why do you think so?

DR stands for distar recovery, when your primary site is destroyed, you could recovery from the backup on a remote place. If you backup the VM to a remote location, although it is not an instant DR, at least your system could recover. That's why I posted here, and I don't think it is not related to the question.

This is a technical forum and everyone could reply with their opinions. From what I can see, Anton and Elden are both trying to help by posting related information that they know. Shared VHDX is available since Server 2012 R2, it's a new technology and I suppose it is normal to have some limitations. In Server 2016, there are improvements on it and it would work with Hyper-V replica.

>>Why would I use WSB over Veeam? Definitely a NO

If you insist on instant DR, you could wait for the official release of Server 2016 in which your requirement would be available.

Best Regards,

Leo

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 6:23 AM
  • Correct, the is no provision from Microsoft for built-in DR with Hyper-V 2012 R2 when using shared VHDX.  It is not at all uncommon for the first release of a capability to be lacking in some capabilities - it's the nature of software.  As Elden states, it is coming, though I know that does not help you currently.

"Also using iSCSI for sharing data in VM is NOT the most exciting way "

Completely agree, but are you looking for excitement or a business solution?  If excitement, I can offer lots of things that would make your life exciting during DR situations, but generally excitement is the last thing that needs augmenting during DR.

Or, you can roll your own.  DR takes on many forms.  Without have full knowledge of what you are trying to protect and then provide for during a DR situation, it is hard to make suggestions, but many of Microsoft's products provide capabilities to enable some level of DR, or even HA, to another site.

. : | : . : | : . tim

• Proposed as answer by VR38DETTMVP Wednesday, July 13, 2016 11:31 AM
    Tuesday, July 12, 2016 1:05 PM
  • Honestly? iSCSI in VM? While technically possible, would anybody want to actually do it in production?

It would be "exciting" to get it working in home/test environment just top prove it can work. And then leave it at this...

Lets just agree on half baked solution, without any need to defend or justify Microsoft shortcomings.

You would not buy new car that could accelerate perfectly well, but due to new acceleration technology used, does not take corners well, would you?

• Edited by scerazy Tuesday, July 12, 2016 9:37 PM
    Tuesday, July 12, 2016 3:17 PM
  • Anton, please if you contribute, do something useful (do not just type/paste whatever)

While Veeam does support shared vhdx backup (another bit that MS can not do with own software!?!) it does not support shared vhdx replication

Also using iSCSI for sharing data in VM is NOT the most exciting way (but you might feel different)

Also iSCSI for DR is NOT an option with DR site linked by WAN

So it seems that currently there are NO provisions for DR with Hyper-V 2012 R2 if one uses shared vhdx?

1) Well trying to insult MVPs, MSFT forum moderators and MSFT product PMs isn't going to bring you anywhere ;) 

2) No it doesn't directly but you can PowerShell script seeded full backups and they will get you what you (most probably) need. Just apply some work on not-100% ready solution! 

3) As long as it jets the job done I don't care. The task is to have a working DR for your virtual machine based setup or the task is to have working DR for something that uses shared VHDX?

4) This isn't true... Don't want to point to what I do but say Nimble iSCSI/FC has this working extremely well. FYI.

Cheers,

Anton Kolomyeytsev [MVP]

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 11:29 AM
  • Honestly? iSCSI in VM? While technically possible, would anybody want to actually do it in production?

It would be "exciting" to get it working in home/test environment just top prove it can work. And then leave it at this...

Lets just agree on half baked solution, without any need to defend or justify Microsoft shortcomings.

You would not buy new car that could accelerate perfectly well, but due to new acceleration technology used, does not take corners well, would you?

Nope. You just get iSCSI from some there place to feed it to your VMs. People have been doing this in production before shared VHDX option appeared. 

Cheers,

Anton Kolomyeytsev [MVP]

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 11:31 AM
  • Elden, how do you get Hyper-V replica to work with Shared VHDX/VHD Set? I've tried both and I can't get it to work.

When I try to enable it, I get a error saying that I "cannot enable replication" that "virtual machines with a shared hard disk cannot be replicated." 

I can not create checkpoints either if I have a shared disk attached to a VM. It says "Cannot take checkpoint for 'test2016_vol01' because one or more shareable VHDX are attached and this is not part of a checkpoint collection.  (Virtual machine ID 2233D3F9-18DD-44DE-9155-CF6C81FB07E0)"

If I remove the shared disk, replication and checkpoints work fine. The underlying storage is storage spaces direct, I don't know if that makes a difference? I tried the VM OS hard disk and the shared disk on the same CSV, and on different ones. I also created a SOFS and tried it on there. Nothing seems to work. What are the requirements for compatibility?

-Scott

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 8:52 PM
  • @Anton Kolomyeytsev [MVP]

Nobody is trying to insult anybody.

Do consider that while it might be your only job (dealing with data & backups etc), there a lot of us that have this responsibility as part of MANY other bits (I must design, purchase, install & implement solution & then manage it in long term). On top of many other bits that require the same.

So while somebody can dedicate they working hours to writing scripts to "correct" half baked offering from MS, I simply can not)

You do have to care how the solution works, otherwise what is the point?

Nimble Storage is nothing I could economically consider

Thank you.

Seb

Sunday, December 11, 2016 9:23 AM
  • You do NOT get replica with 2012 R2 & shared vhdx.

Only way is to do iSCSI array replication (if you have hardware that can do it - mine does NOT)

Or simply do the backup of vhdx with Veeam (which is poor man DR, as it requires full restore to local HV to be usable)

But it works

Sunday, December 11, 2016 9:26 AM
  • Don't know about 2016, but I've installed server 2019 and replication doesn't work.

Monday, August 19, 2019 3:20 PM
  • Nothing ever changed with any/each/all next versions release of Windows Server since original post 3+ years ago.

Microsoft a business solution? Somehow it does not look so!

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 4:26 PM