none
DHCP not update DNS record RRS feed

• Question

• HI all

our DHCP server does not update some DNS record and we should change DNS record manually .

we checked DHCP credential for dynamic update and... and its ok.

please give me hand to fix my issue step by step

Saturday, August 17, 2019 7:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What's the DHCP server OS version? It's this a domain controller? Did the server has the latest updates? Any DHCP errors/warnings in the Event Viewer?

Saturday, August 17, 2019 8:05 AM
  • DHCP server :win 2012 r2 and DHCP server is not domain but its domain join server.

yes its have latest update.

there is not any specific error in event viewer to show what happen that DHCP server not does not update some dns record.

Saturday, August 17, 2019 8:12 AM
  • Checking the DHCP logs may bring some light on this.

Is the DHCP server in the DNSnsUpdateProxy group?

Something else to check. In DHCP option 006, you will see the DNS server IP address. DHCP will select the first DNS in option 006 to use for the updates.

This is where the clients are getting the list of DNS servers.

Saturday, August 17, 2019 8:51 AM
  • No our dhcp server not in dnsupdateproxy group.. Dhcp option 006 show our dns server in all scope. As i said before this issue happen to some dns record . For example if dhcp server offer new ip to client the dns record show old ip address.
    • Edited by raminsr Saturday, August 17, 2019 9:16 AM
    Saturday, August 17, 2019 9:16 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in this forum.

If possible, could you show me the some screenshots of settings for dynamic update on the DHCP server and DNS server.

In addition, DHCP server does not update some DNS record——>Is all records updated, or only part?

If it is the latter, who are their owners?

Appreciate your patience.

Best regards,

Abby

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 6:10 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situation.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Abby

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 22, 2019 8:41 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in this forum.

If possible, could you show me the some screenshots of settings for dynamic update on the DHCP server and DNS server.

In addition, DHCP server does not update some DNS record——>Is all records updated, or only part?

If it is the latter, who are their owners?

Best regards,

Abby

unfortunately still our dhcp server does not update dns server record 

*only some record when dhcp offer new ip to the client that ip never update in dns server

• Edited by raminsr Sunday, August 25, 2019 6:00 AM
    Sunday, August 25, 2019 5:57 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

*only some record when dhcp offer new ip to the client that ip never update in dns server.——>Is the owner of the "some record" a client?

If yes, please check the following option in client is enabled:

Best regards,

Abby

Monday, August 26, 2019 2:04 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

*only some record when dhcp offer new ip to the client that ip never update in dns server.——>Is the owner of the "some record" a client?

If yes, please check the following option in client is enabled:

Best regards,

Abby

owner of some record is SELF and SOME of them is COMPUTER NAME (some record = i mean all record that not updated )

register this connection .... are Enable.

what is correct owner for record ? and how can i change them for all record to only one owner?

*below picture show computer with different IP address in DHCP and DNS record

• Edited by raminsr Wednesday, August 28, 2019 6:37 AM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2019 3:38 AM
  • Hi,

Please try to enter the command line ipconfig/registerdns on the client to see if it isucceeds.

Best regards,

Abby

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 6:03 AM
  • Hi,

Please try to enter the command line ipconfig/registerdns on the client to see if it isucceeds.

Best regards,

Abby

yes manually its work but we need our  DHCP server DNS record.
    no its not work
    Saturday, August 31, 2019 3:22 AM
  • Hi,

This is not a normal behavior. 

Please go to the Event Viewer—>Applications and Services—>Microsoft—>Windows—>DNS Server on the computer which has DNS server. 

And go to the Event Viewer—>Applications and Services—>Microsoft—>Windows—>DNS Client Events on the computer which you have tried ipconfig/registerdns.

If possible, please show me some screentshots of the above information.

Best regards,

Abby

Monday, September 2, 2019 7:34 AM
  • Hi,

This is not a normal behavior. 

Please go to the Event Viewer—>Applications and Services—>Microsoft—>Windows—>DNS Server on the computer which has DNS server. 

And go to the Event Viewer—>Applications and Services—>Microsoft—>Windows—>DNS Client Events on the computer which you have tried ipconfig/registerdns.

If possible, please show me some screentshots of the above information.

Best regards,

Abby

Event Viewer—>Applications and Services—>Microsoft—>Windows—>DNS Client Event: its empty

Event Viewer—>Applications and Services—>Microsoft—>Windows—>DNS Server :its show some record updated by dynamic update

as i said before we have problem only with some record not all of them.

Monday, September 2, 2019 9:20 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your cooperation, the screenshot will give us the correct direction of troubleshooting.

Best regards,

Abby

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 1:16 AM