Multihomed server NIC registration in different DNS zones RRS feed

• Question

• I have number of multihomed servers all 2012R2. The primary and secondary NICs are in different subnets and both have static IP addresses. Servers are member of domain.loc domain.

I want that first NIC register it's IP in primary domain DNS zone, i.e. domain.loc, and secondary NIC register in another DNS zone, i.e. secondary.loc.

I set both NICs to "Register this connection's addresses in DNS" and "Use this connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration". DNS suffix for secondary NIC is set to "secondary.loc"

As a result, I have 3 dynamic DNS records:
    - In domain.loc zone: both primary and secondary NIC IP
    - In secondary.loc zone: only secondary NIC IP

How do I configure to have only primary NIC IP in domain.loc zone and secondary NIC IP in secondary.loc zone?

Sunday, July 16, 2017 6:20 AM

All replies

• How do I configure to have only primary NIC IP in domain.loc zone and secondary NIC IP in secondary.loc zone?

The short answer; I'd uncheck the option on both NICs "register this connection's address in DNS" and manually create the host A records but I think in general the multi-homing is going to cause great confusion for active directory. Better to do the routing on switch hardware using a single NIC on each server.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, July 16, 2017 1:30 PM