none
How to select correct boot partition from multi-partition .vhdx file?

Question

• I am relatively new to managing Hyper-V servers. I have been sent some .VHDX files that are the exports of disks from a a working Hyper-V server. However the C:\ drive is a partition of one of the supplied .VHDX files and I cannot figure out how to create a new VM that will boot from this existing C:\ drive (the original OS is Server 2008 R2 Standard Ed). The files supplied are structured as follows, according to the individual who supplied them:

PMDLINK-0.VHDX Drives C: and E:

PMDLINK-1.VHDX Drive F:

PMDLINK-2.VHDX Drive D:

I initially tried creating a new Hyper-V VM by using the 'New' > 'Virtual Machine' Wizard. I gave the VM a new name, stored the machine at the default location where there is plenty of disk space. For Generation type I was unsure so I have tried creating new machines of both Generation 1 and 2 types. Assigned 12GB RAM, selected 'Default Switch' for connection. For 'Connect Virtual Hard Disk' I selected the option 'Use an existing virtual hard disk' and set path to the 'PMDLINK-0.VHDX' file.

When configured as Generation 1 and I try to initially start the machine, I get message 'Missing operating system'

When configured as Generation 2 and I try to start the machine, I get message 'Start PXE over IPv4' and shortly after a further message 'No operating system was loaded. Your virtual machine may be configured incorrectly. Exit and re-configure your VN or click restart to retry the current boot sequence again'<o:p></o:p>

I have also tried mounting the source drive on my windows 10 laptop, which displays the following partitions once mounted:

I then created a new virtual drive from the Computer management 'Actions' menu again on my windows 10 lap"font-family:Verdana, sans-serif;font-size:9pt;">At this point I initialised the new disk but did not create any partitions. I then used 'AOMEI Partition Assistant'  to copy the source partition from the I: drive above to the newly created virtual drive:

Which resulted in the following, I renamed the volume to 'OS Part':

I finally created a new virtual machine in Hyper-V manager (still on my windows 10 laptop) and for the hard drive, selected 'use an existing virtual hard disk' and pointed to the newly created virtual drive. The machine was created successfully. However when I tried to start it, again I created the machine twice for both 'Generation 1' and 'Generation 2' but still it failed to boot:

Generation 1 - started, but just displays black screen with white blinking cursor<o:p></o:p>

Generation 2 - started, but displays message 'Start PXE over IPv4'<o:p></o:p>

(Sorry I will add the images later once my account is verified)

• Edited by S00P00M00 Thursday, April 18, 2019 1:48 PM
    Thursday, April 18, 2019 1:41 PM

All replies

• I finally created a new virtual machine in Hyper-V manager (still on my windows 10 laptop) and for the hard drive, selected 'use an existing virtual hard disk' and pointed to the newly created virtual drive. 

This was the correct method but sounds like the file is somehow corrupt. Might try exporting them again.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 18, 2019 9:01 PM
  • Hi,

>>I have been sent some .VHDX files that are the exports of disks from a a working Hyper-V server

What is the OS version of hyper-v server?

Have you tried to import Virtual Machine? It also could migrate the VM configuration. 

Reference Link

https://www.codetwo.com/admins-blog/how-to-export-hyper-v-from-windows-10-to-windows-server-2012-r2/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

>>Generation 2 - started, but displays message 'Start PXE

Have you check the startup option in the BIOS setting?

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, April 19, 2019 9:04 AM
  • These drives have been supplied to me from a third party. I have gone back and asked if they can try creating the VM from the same files as they have a lot more experience than me. If this is successful they will email me the procedure they used or as you suggest they find they are corrupt then I will ask for a new export. Thanks for your reply.
    Saturday, April 20, 2019 1:45 PM
  • The VM OS is 2008 R2 Stanard edition. I don't currently have an export of the machine but I might ask the third party to supply this. I have tried changing the startup options but no luck. Thanks for your reply.
    Saturday, April 20, 2019 1:48 PM
  • Sounds good, you're welcome.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, April 20, 2019 1:49 PM
  • If the VM is Windows Server 2008 R2, then you have to use a Gen 1 VM.  Gen 2 requires Server 2012 or higher.

Sunday, April 21, 2019 9:15 PM
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, April 22, 2019 9:43 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 7:25 AM