Addressing Service Errors in Server Manager RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of setting up some servers on a Hyper-V host and am having an issue that may be more of an annoyance than anything but I thought I would see if anyone had any input on it.

When I launch Server Manager from a Windows 8 machine to manage these servers the "All Servers" section is bright red and it indicates that four services are not running. Three of those services are from a Windows 2008 R2 machine (Software Protection, Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_64, and Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN 4.0.30319_32) and the fourth service is on a Windows 2012 Server (Shell Hardware Detection).

Searching the web regarding these specific services seems to indicate that it is "normal" for these particular services to stop on their own which seems to indicate there is not really a problem. However, if that is true I don't understand why the Server Manager would light up in red as it does.

Am I wrong in my assumption that I don't need to worry about the fact that these services are not running all the time? If I am not wrong is there any way I can get the Server Manager to stop complaining about services that are behaving normally?

Thanks.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 9:21 PM

Answers

• Had the same problem. Solution is given here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831394.aspx

After a server has been added to the Server Manager server pool, service alerts about the Shell Hardware Detection service can be displayed if there are no users logged on to the managed server. This occurs because the Shell Hardware Detection service runs only when users are logged on to the managed server, or connected to a Remote Desktop session on the managed server. To avoid seeing Shell Hardware Detection service alerts for this case, click Services in the thumbnails for server groups, including the All Servers group. In the Services Detail View dialog box, on the Services drop-down list, clear the check box for Shell Hardware Detection, and then click OK.

Took me a while to figure out the right click path, so I hope this helps:

Click path to disable warning about Shell Hardware Detection in Server Manager

Good luck,

Bas.

www.2at.nl

(please mark as answer if this helps!)

Friday, May 17, 2013 9:15 PM