none
Certutil -repairstore Access Denied - Windows Server 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to recover a lost private key for a certificate on a 2008 R2 box (web server cert, issued by Thawte) and when I run:

>certutil -repairstore my "cert serial #"

I get:

>No key provider information
    >Cannot find the certificate and private key for decryption.
    >CertUtil: -repairstore command FAILED: 0x80090010 (-2146893808)
    >CertUtil: Access denied.

I am domain admin, and running the command in an Administrator:Command Prompt.  For some reason I vaguely recall something about permissions to the keystore needing to be modified, but I have slept since then so I may be way off base.  My searching is failing me this morning, so hopefully this is an easy fix (short of revoke/reissue the cert) that someone else has encountered.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 1:31 PM

Answers

• start the command line "as administrator"

o.

• Marked as answer by 朱鸿文 Wednesday, April 24, 2013 4:10 AM
    Friday, April 12, 2013 11:48 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

Please check the information in the thread below to see if it can be helpful during our troubleshooting:

Certutil Access denied

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrdeploy/thread/3f79b48f-4a3d-4e1b-946a-87b06e8fb06b

Regards

Kevin

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Friday, April 12, 2013 2:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

Please check the information in the thread below to see if it can be helpful during our troubleshooting:

Certutil Access denied

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrdeploy/thread/3f79b48f-4a3d-4e1b-946a-87b06e8fb06b

Regards

Kevin

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Friday, April 12, 2013 2:26 AM
  • start the command line "as administrator"

o.

Friday, April 12, 2013 11:48 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the information provided should be helpful. If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best Regards

Kevin

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 4:10 AM
  • The Microsoft community needs to stop marking threads as answered when no answer has been given.  I referenced the thread given as the answer, and that thread has not been adequately answered either!

This devalues TechNet as a technical resource.  Leave the thread as unanswered and open if it has not been answered from now on, and start unmarking "answered" threads if no answer has been given.

I'm having the same exact problem as the OP, and I would like an answer to this, and for the "answered" questions to be unmarked until a real answer has been given.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 5:10 PM
  • Seconded. Marking everything as answers just makes it harder to track down real answers.
    Sunday, May 15, 2016 9:05 AM