none
A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the MSSQL$MICROSOFT##WID service to connect. RRS feed

• Question

• We are seeing the following error during start up on more than one of our VMs running Windows Server 2016 Datacenter, this is prevent users from being able to RDP to the server. It seems this error resolves itself as the WID service does eventually start, but the dependent RDS services do not start thereafter, but will start with manual intervention. The following are the errors listed in the event log:

1. A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the MSSQL$MICROSOFT##WID service to connect.

2. The MSSQL$MICROSOFT##WID service failed to start due to the following error: 
    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

3. The Tssdis service depends on the MSSQL$MICROSOFT##WID service which failed to start because of the following error: 
    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

4. The TScPubRPC service depends on the MSSQL$MICROSOFT##WID service which failed to start because of the following error: 

There is also the below message logged before the first error, but I'm not sure this is the actual cause, as said previously, it does eventually start, which makes me think its a timing issue.

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
    {D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
     and APPID 
    {9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
     to the user NT SERVICE\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##WID SID (S-1-5-80-1184457765-4068085190-3456807688-2200952327-3769537534) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Additionally, this does not happen each time the server starts and is seemingly random, but we are seeing similar behavior on another server with RDS installed.

I've found the following post, but this is not a fix and merely extends the timeout value for all services.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/922918/a-service-does-not-start-and-events-7000-and-7011-are-logged-in-window

Thanks

Monday, September 16, 2019 1:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, my understanding is that service does not automatic start.

I want to confirm with you if such problem only happens on system boot/reboot, and manually start the service without problem.

If so, try to configure the service start up type as Delay Start and check the result. Also, please disable all 3rd party automatic start up process/service and check the result:
    1. Open Run, type msconfig and end with enter, select Services, select the option Hide all Microsoft services, then, unselect all services listed above, save the change and close the window.
    2. Open Task Manager – Startup, disable all startup process, save the change and close the window.

If possible, re-start system and check the result. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 6:59 AM
  • This is a windows service that must be started by another application-service and so changing it to auto-start is not really an option and would probably cause further issues.

I've never had to start the service manually since it does tend to start after a few minutes, its only during startup it seems to have an issue, which again I think is timing related.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 3:55 PM
  • Hi,

We can using tool, such as process monitor to capture real-time file system, Registry and process/thread activity. It may provide helpful information for further identification about this problem.

Process Monitor v3.52:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 8:29 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang      

Thursday, October 3, 2019 1:35 AM