none
Error determining whether the target server is already a domain controller: The target server is already a Domain Controller. RRS feed

• Question

• So basically, I was promoting a new server to a DC.  It said the promotion failed.  I rebooted the server and low and behold, it is acting like a domain controller.  It is moved to the domain controller OU, it is replicating fine, it knows who has the FSMO roles and I see no other problems. However, server manager is still telling me to promote the machine to be a DC as can be seen here:

If I click the link to run DC Promo, I get this:

Is there any way to just tell the server that "yes this is a working DC" to get rid of the task in server manager? Or is there something else I should do to correct this?

Monday, August 25, 2014 7:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• I hate to not have a definitive answer as to what fixed it... it may have been me clicking on the "Promote this server to a domain controller" and then clicking cancel on the following screen, or rebooting a few times... but it's no longer asking me to promote the DC.

hooray?

Monday, August 25, 2014 8:57 PM
  • Hi Vinny,

There are others who have encountered similar scenarios as yours, clicking the Post-deployment Configuration message is enough to make the message disappear for good.

Although I am more worried about that you mentioned the promotion failed, I suggest you run DCdiag.exe on this machine to examine if the DC is healthy.

More information for you:

Server 2012 DC Promotion Bug

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/221ed1ff-fc16-4c5d-ae05-edea7a9076be/server-2012-dc-promotion-bug?forum=winserverDS

Troubleshooting Domain Controller Deployment

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj592690.aspx

Best Regards,

Amy

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 9:30 AM
  • DCDIAG

• Proposed as answer by EricJWeiner Friday, October 7, 2016 3:33 AM
    • Edited by EricJWeiner Friday, April 6, 2018 9:06 PM not nice
    Thursday, January 14, 2016 1:58 AM
  • I had the same issue and ran across this post. After clicking the wizard and receiving this message, the Server Manager task now displays "Configuration completed for Active Directory Domain Services at...".

I did not have error during promotion and AD is healthy.

George Wilson

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 3:30 PM
  • I had the same issue, but a reboot resolved. It appears that after i added the AD DS role i needed to do a reboot, even though Windows did not tell me i needed one.

Tony Auby

Saturday, August 19, 2017 1:53 AM
  • Just fyi, when you promote a domain controller in Windows Server 2008 or newer, the ADDS service remains stopped while the DC finishes replicating and updating its database. Obviously, if the service is stopped the DC won't advertise itself as a domain controller, and that's the reason why Server Manager shows that warning.

Just let the DC replicate and then reboot it once replication is completed.

You will know that ADDS finished replicating because the server manager dashboard won't show any more warnings in the AD DS role, and the Local Server Services tab won't show the NTDS service as Stopped anymore.

Friday, April 6, 2018 8:52 PM