Script to query if an AD user has a roaming profile configured. RRS feed

• Question

• I need a script that will query all active users in a 2008r2 active directory environment and check whether or not a roaming profile was configured.  I am a newbie when it comes to scripting so if there is anyone that can assist, I would appreicate it.

Thank You,

Monday, March 4, 2013 8:46 PM

Answers

• Here is a version that retrieves all users and outputs the sAMAccountName and either True (if the profilePath starts with "\\" indicating a unc path) or False (if profilePath has no value is a local path). This is one line:

Get-ADUser -Filter * -Properties profilePath | Select sAMAccountName, @{Name="Roaming Profile"; Expression={$_.profilePath -Like "`\`\*"}}

-----

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 3:51 PM

All replies

• Retrieve all users that have a value assigned to the profilePath attribute. For example:

Get-ADUser -filter {profilePath -Like "*"} -Properties profilePath

-----

• Proposed as answer by Kazun Tuesday, March 5, 2013 5:01 AM
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 2:24 AM
  • Thank you, but being a newbie does {profilePath -Like "*"} mean I have to enter what the users profile path is? 
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 1:54 PM
  • No, the filter retrieves all users that have any value assigned to the profilePath attribute. The "*" is the wildcard character. To retrieve all users with no value assigned, use {profilePath -NotLike "*"}.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 3:22 PM
  • Great! That worked!  One last question, how would I pipe that output to an excel file formatted?
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 3:36 PM
  • Here is a version that retrieves all users and outputs the sAMAccountName and either True (if the profilePath starts with "\\" indicating a unc path) or False (if profilePath has no value is a local path). This is one line:

Get-ADUser -Filter * -Properties profilePath | Select sAMAccountName, @{Name="Roaming Profile"; Expression={$_.profilePath -Like "`\`\*"}}

-----

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 3:51 PM
  • Thank You!
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 11:24 PM