none
The DFS Replication service failed to register the WMI providers RRS feed

• Question

• I have a small network with a Windows 2008 SP1 server and a Windows 2008 R2 server.  The R2 server holds all of the FSMO roles and is starting to fail.  I need to transfer the roles to the other server.  Any time I try to connect to the other server from the R2 server, I get "Domain controller could not be contacted".  So I look at what's been going on with the SP1 server.  The replication log shows this error:

The DFS Replication service failed to register the WMI providers.  Replication is disabled until the problem is resolved.

There's nothing I can find with Google on this error.  Any ideas on where to begin?  Or if this is the problem?  The servers can talk to each other in every other way (shares, ping, etc.)

Thanks!

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 4:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

How many domain controllers are there in the domain? Could you please tell me what exact steps you performed and got the "Domain controller could not be contacted" error message?

Regarding the DFSR event, please re-register corresponding dlls and wmi settings by taking the following actions:

1. Start a Command Prompt.

2. Type the following command to change the folder to the WMI folder:

CD %windir%\system32\wbem

3. Type the following command to reregister all the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) DLLs:

For /f %s in ('dir /b /s *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %s

4. Type the following command to reregister the MOF files.

for /f %s in ('dir /b *.mof *.mfl') do mofcomp %s

5. Type the following command to make sure that the provider host is registered correctly:

wmiprvse /regserver

After that please restarting winmgmt service and rebooting DFSR server to check if the issue has been resolved.

Hope it helps.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, June 28, 2010 2:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

How many domain controllers are there in the domain? Could you please tell me what exact steps you performed and got the "Domain controller could not be contacted" error message?

Regarding the DFSR event, please re-register corresponding dlls and wmi settings by taking the following actions:

1. Start a Command Prompt.

2. Type the following command to change the folder to the WMI folder:

CD %windir%\system32\wbem

3. Type the following command to reregister all the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) DLLs:

For /f %s in ('dir /b /s *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %s

4. Type the following command to reregister the MOF files.

for /f %s in ('dir /b *.mof *.mfl') do mofcomp %s

5. Type the following command to make sure that the provider host is registered correctly:

wmiprvse /regserver

After that please restarting winmgmt service and rebooting DFSR server to check if the issue has been resolved.

Hope it helps.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, June 28, 2010 2:06 AM
  • I am receiving below error while trying step#4.  What is the space it is talking about? My server has sufficient disk space.

C:\WINNT\system32\wbem>mofcomp wmitimep.mfl
    Microsoft (R) 32-bit MOF Compiler Version 5.2.3790.3959
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp. 1997-2001. All rights reserved.
    Parsing MOF file: wmitimep.mfl
    MOF file has been successfully parsed
    Storing data in the repository...
    An error occurred while opening the namespace for object 1 defined on lines 4 -
    4:
    Error Number: 0x8007000e, Facility: Win32
    Description: Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.
    Compiler returned error 0x8007000e

Thanks,

Sitaram Pamarthi

Blog : http://techibee.com

Follow on Twitter

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or gurentees,and confers no rights

Monday, February 13, 2012 5:23 AM
  • In my experience "Not enough storage is available to complete this operation" doesn't refer to physical disk space, but RAM and/or the paging file. In short, when you get that message, it's time for a reboot.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 11:52 AM
  • I followed the below steps for fixing the issue (DFS Replication service failed to register the WMI providers. Replication is disabled until the problem is resolved)

Note - Please try these steps on test machine before implementing in production servers or any critical servers. 

1. Disable and stop the WMI service.

sc config winmgmt start= disabled     (note that there is a blank between '=' and 'disabled')

net stop winmgmt

2. Rename the repository folder (located at %windir%\System32\wbem\repository) to repository.old.

3. Re-enable the WMI service.

sc config winmgmt start= auto

4. Reboot the server.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 11:12 PM
  • Having a right game with this both the above fixes didn't work. Any ideas keep getting repetitive messages complaining of this. Steps taken so far:

Removed replication group

readded DLLs

Readded replication group and namespace

Same issue.

<object id="kpm_plugin" type="application/x-KPMPlugin"></object>
    Thursday, June 9, 2016 4:22 PM
  • 100% fix my problem!  Joining a Win2012 R2 server to a Win2008 R2 domain.  
    Saturday, March 24, 2018 12:10 AM