none
Features on Demand on Hyper-V Server 2019 RRS feed

• Question

• A Server Core installation of Server 2019 Standard / Datacenter allows 'Features on Demand' to be installed (mmc, event viewer, etc, plus optionalliy IE11). Does anyone know whether it's possible to install the features on the stand-alone (free) Hyper-V Server 2019? I've just tried running the Powershell commands to install them (listed here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started-19/install-fod-19) - it reports as completed successfully, but the commands don't seem to be available and a search on the C drive for the relevant .exe files doesn't locate anything.

It may well be that, given that Hyper-V Server is free, the features aren't available - but it would be useful to know for sure.

Thanks

David

Thursday, June 20, 2019 2:55 PM

All replies

• We'll see what they have to say.

https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/windowsserverdocs/issues/2987

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, June 20, 2019 3:30 PM
  • My understanding is that Hyper-V Server is configured as a defined subset of Windows Server features and that cannot be modified.

tim

Friday, June 21, 2019 1:11 PM
  • It is, but that doesn't necessarily mean that specific add-ons like this won't be possible (although it may do so) - on server core, they are installed from a separate ISO and aren't a role or feature as such.

David

Friday, June 21, 2019 1:30 PM
  • Server core is a completely different product than Hyper-V Server.  I know a lot of people call Hyper-V Server server core, but that is not the case.  Very similar, and using the same architecture, but Hyper-V Server core was never designed to hold any other role besides Hyper-V and any features that are necessary to support the capabilities offered by Hyper-V.

What feature are you attempting to add?

tim

Friday, June 21, 2019 1:33 PM
  • It's not actually that different - it's just server core with one pre-installed server role, and an inability to add any further roles.

I am trying to add the Features on Demand utilities, which may not be possible but this is not clear.

David

Friday, June 21, 2019 1:45 PM
  • "it's just server core with one pre-installed server role, and an inability to add any further roles."

True, it is based on server core, as there is only one Windows kernel.  But in addition to the inabiiity to add any further roles, there is an inability to add any features that are not related to Hyper-V.  For example, the file services role is unavailable, so none of the file services features can be added.

So your query has me confused.  Why would one think to add something to the system for a purpose that is not supported by the system?  Do you have a reason for wanting to install FoD?

Documenting the negative, i.e. those things which do not work, is an impossible job.  They may document some things that are explicitly not supported due to the volume of support cases the lack of such documentation would cause.  But Microsoft has never tried to document all the things that do not work in their environments.

tim

Saturday, June 22, 2019 1:15 PM
  • Hi,

I want to instlal it because having some of the utilities (notably HyperV Manager and File Explorer) on the box itself would be quite useful.

I appreciate that they can't document everything which isn't there - hence I am asking here.

Thanks

David

Sunday, June 23, 2019 11:50 AM
  • Hi ,

Thanks for your posting here.

>>It may well be that, given that Hyper-V Server is free, the features aren't available - but it would be useful to know for sure.

I am trying to add the Features on Demand utilities, which may not be possible but this is not clear.

I am afraid hyper-v server could not install FOD as I did not find any Microsoft official document talking about it.

I would suggest we could wait for official documents and I will post here if I got any updates on it.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Monday, June 24, 2019 3:53 AM
  • "having some of the utilities (notably HyperV Manager and File Explorer) on the box itself would be quite useful."

Both of those utilities/applications make use of the Windows GUI.  There is no Windows GUI on Hyper-V Server, so they cannot be installed.

tim

Monday, June 24, 2019 1:17 PM
  • There's no Windows GUI on a Windows Server Core installation either! Clearly, the FOD installation must install the bits of the GUI which it needs.

There's no reason why the same couldn't apply on Hyper-V Server, hence my original question. Nobody who has responded so far actually seems to know either way.

David

Monday, June 24, 2019 1:21 PM
  • They just replied they think it works.

https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/windowsserverdocs/issues/2987#issuecomment-506519754

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, June 27, 2019 9:39 PM
  • Thanks. When I tried it I couldn't get it to work and I think I did the same as when I tried it on server core (which worked), but it was a few months apart so I can't be certain.

I will set up Server Core and Hyper-V Server VMs side by side and try exactly the same steps on both of them and see what happens.

David

Thursday, June 27, 2019 9:44 PM
  • Sounds good.

Thursday, June 27, 2019 9:49 PM
  • They just replied they think it works.

https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/windowsserverdocs/issues/2987#issuecomment-506519754

No they did not. The person who is responding is not working at Microsoft. GitHub is open and inclusive to everyone :)
    Friday, June 28, 2019 9:33 AM
  • I've now tested it again using a pair of VMs - one running Hyper-V Server 2019 and one Server Core 2019.

Result is that Features on Demand and Internet Explorer can be installed on both of them (not sure why it didn't work the first time I tried).

I also found that file services could be installed on the Hyper-v Server, which I wasn't expecting. However, the other roles I tried failed to install, as expected.

David

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 5:07 PM
  • Can FOD be installed at hyper-v server 2016? Because i installed it, but mmc.exe is not starting " it reports as completed successfully, but the commands don't seem to be available"!
    Tuesday, August 20, 2019 6:36 AM
  • I've not tried, but I don't believe so - FOD was a new feature with Server 2019.

David

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 7:12 AM
  • pity, thanks
    • Edited by emoxam Tuesday, August 20, 2019 7:14 AM
    Tuesday, August 20, 2019 7:13 AM