none
I cant connect XP workstations to a new windows server 2008 domain controller

Question

• windows xp pro wont connect to server 2008.  i can get to the server using start-run, but my xp cant connect to it as a domain. When I try to make XP a member of the domain, I get the error message: A domain controller for the domain could not be contacted.  Insure that the domain name is typed correctly. Under details it says "dns name does not exist".
    Friday, May 14, 2010 8:29 PM

All replies

•    Are the XP machines set to use the DC for DNS? What happens if you do an nslookup of the FQDN of you domain?

Bill
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 2:16 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your post here.

For further investigations, please provide:

1. Ipconfig /al/ from the problematic XP client and Windows Server 2008 DC

Please make sure the IP address (either static or dynamic) is host address in the current subnet and the DNS server address is pointing to the domain DNS server.

2. If the issue persists, the MPS report which contains Netdiag (domain networking diagnoses) log will be helpful.

Microsoft Product Support's Reporting Tools

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=cebf3c7c-7ca5-408f-88b7-f9c79b7306c0&displaylang=en

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Monday, May 17, 2010 6:06 AM
  • Thanks for your help, Bill

I am not real savvy with server products, just so you know.  On your first question, the workstations (5 of them) are in a workgroup.  I'm not sure what setting them to use the domain controller for domain name service means or entails in this regard.

On your second question, do i perform the nslookup directly on the server and what would be the correct syntax?  On the server, i typed in nslookup theservername.com and I got

server:  theservername.com

address:  the correct IP address

***servername.com can't find nslookup: non-existent domain

Thanks, Art  

Monday, May 17, 2010 6:28 PM
  • One more thing to anyone out there:  Does the server need a reverse lookup zone???  It doesn't have one.

Artatcc

Monday, May 17, 2010 7:37 PM
  • As Bill indicated, you need to set the TCP/IP properties of these 5 computers to reflect the DNS setting to point to your internal DNS server(s).  Generally, you should be running DNS on your DC.  If you are using DHCP services, modify the scope options to reflect the DNS settings.  If your computers are assigned with Static IPs, simply update the information manually.  Mile's #1 request would be helpful.

In regards to a reverse lookup zone...you can get by without it.  However, some applications will use the reverse lookup zone for identifying the IP back to a host name.  It really wont add an additional workload if you create it, so I would.

Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
    Monday, May 17, 2010 7:54 PM
  • Thank   T

Thanks for your interest in helping me, Miles.

IPconfig /all on the WS responded with numerous info.

On the server, substantial info was also present, including that it is DNS server  ::1,  127.0.0.1 

netbios over tcpip is enables

DHCP is not enabled.

What else can I do?  Also,  There is no reverse lookup zone.  Is that normal?

Thanks, Art

Monday, May 17, 2010 9:05 PM
  • Art, I addressed your question regarding the reverse lookup zone in my previous post.  The reverse lookup zones are not created automatically during the DCPROMO/DNS configuration process.  I think it is a good idea to have a reverse lookup zone.  Can your AD live without it? Yes.  Is it a benefit to have a reverse lookup zone.  Yes, you will be able to resolve IPs back to hostnames.

Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
    Monday, May 17, 2010 10:22 PM
  • <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:6.0pt; margin-right:0cm; margin-bottom:3.0pt; margin-left:11.35pt; line-height:110%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:Arial; mso-fareast-language:JA;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;} @page WordSection1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> http://redmondmag.com/articles/2007/01/01/8-ad-mistakes-you-may-have-missed.aspx

Reverse lookup zones are also a must for domain functionality. Clients use reverse lookups to locate their assigned AD site and identify the closest DNS server. Lacking reverse lookup zones can also prevent clients from processing Group Policy and connecting to the correct Domain Controller (DC).

Not needed?

Monday, August 16, 2010 10:01 AM