none
Help !- Wuaueng.dll Datastore.edb RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting following event log error on our Windows 2003 Server.  We are not running Exchange.  We have Oracle 10.2 installed it houses our oracle databases for a manufacturing execution system.  I've done some internet searches and it always mentions Exchange and this isn't the case for us.  My concern is the mention of a possible hardware issue. 

Event Type:    Error
    Event Source:    ESENT
    Event Category:    Database Page Cache
    Event ID:    474
    Date:        5/20/2009
    Time:        9:05:18 PM
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    USKIMES01
    Description:
    wuaueng.dll (908) SUS20ClientDataStore: The database page read from the file
    "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb" at offset 10825728 (0x0000000000a53000)
    for 4096 (0x00001000) bytes failed verification due to a page checksum mismatch.  The expected
    checksum was 1781251881 (0x6a2bbf29) and the actual checksum was 1923499883 (0x72a6476b).
    The read operation will fail with error -1018 (0xfffffc06).  If this condition
    persists then please restore the database from a previous backup.  This problem is likely due
    to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 3:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Besides the error in Event Viewer, what symptom appears on your computer? Can your Oracle or other programs run without any problems?

Usually this event error is related to Exchange Server. However, as Exchange Server is not installed on your computer, it is not easy to tell what program this error is related to.

According to the error message, we can see that the database file for Windows Updates is corrupt. As C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution is a temporary folder, I suggest deleting it to test the result if it is convenient for you to restart the computer:

1. Click Start, click Run, and type "cmd" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window to stop the Automatic Updates service.

Type in "net stop WuAuServ" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was successfully stopped before we try to rename the folder. However, if it failed, please let me know before performing any further steps and include any error messages you may have received when it failed.

2. Click Start, click Run, and type in "%windir%" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, look for the folder named "SoftwareDistribution".

4. Right-click on the folder, select Rename and type "SDold" (without the quotes) to rename this folder.

5. Click Start, click Run, and type "cmd" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Type the command "net start WuAuServ" (without the quotes) in the opened window to restart the Automatic Updates service.

Restart the computer and a new SoftwareDistribution folder will be rebuilt.

This issue can be related to Oracle. However, since Oracle is a product manufactured by a company independent of Microsoft, we are not quite familiar with it. You’d better contact Oracle to check if this is an known issue on their program.

This issue can also be caused by hardware. if this issue reoccurs frequently, you may need to check your hardware.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan – MSFT

Friday, May 22, 2009 5:40 AM