Adprep is giving a syntax error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,
    I'm trying to add a Windows 2008 server as a DC in our excising 2003 domain. The first problem I encountered is while running adprep.exe /forestprep (on my 2003 DC, from the 2008 setup DVD) that adprep is not giving any information and seems to be waiting. When I typed in a C and hit return it did start. All well, till the ......... (dot's) suddenly stopped. Starting adprep again did continue the dot's but also end them again without notification.
    When I look in my Log's is says in .003.txt: 

There is a syntax error in the input file
    Failed on line 169.  The last token starts with 's'.
    An error has occurred in the program

Does anyone have any suggestion?

Thank you very much for your help!

Greetings.

E. de Wolf
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 2:49 PM

Answers

• Okay, it's solved. This is how:
    Because I was using adprep from a different language then the server was (server was EN-US, adprep NL) it didn't show any information.
    So, copy the adprep 2003 domain controller and rename the language map (in my case nl-nl) to en-us. Adprep should work fine then and giving you all the information to need to successfully prepare your 2003 domain for a windows 2008 server.

Hope this helps anyone.

Thank you.
    • Marked as answer by e.dewolf Friday, March 27, 2009 11:21 AM
    Friday, March 27, 2009 11:20 AM

All replies

• Okay, it's solved. This is how:
    Because I was using adprep from a different language then the server was (server was EN-US, adprep NL) it didn't show any information.
    So, copy the adprep 2003 domain controller and rename the language map (in my case nl-nl) to en-us. Adprep should work fine then and giving you all the information to need to successfully prepare your 2003 domain for a windows 2008 server.

Hope this helps anyone.

Thank you.
    • Marked as answer by e.dewolf Friday, March 27, 2009 11:21 AM
    Friday, March 27, 2009 11:20 AM
  • You're a lifesaver. I just spent hours and hours to find the log of adprep (windows/debug instead of system32/debug). When I finally got the log, I had just the same syntax error - failed on line 169.

How did you find out that you had the rename the language map?

Anyway, thanks a lot !
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:01 PM
  • Nice work, this saved my life indeed. Thank you very much.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:18 AM
  • Hello E.de.Wolff

This an amazing sollution,

how did you find out about it?

This is really a live saver (or at least a time saver)

Thanks

Saturday, April 16, 2011 11:29 AM
  • I had a very similar issue today and this answer helped me find the eventual resolution.

I was also getting the "There is a syntax error in the input file Failed on line 169." but since my media was EN-US and my system was set to EN-US locale (systeminfo) I was a bit stumped.

It turns out that the version of ADPREP that was on the media I was using was from 7/14/2009 and in desperation I downloaded an EVAL copy of 2008R2 server and the date of the ADPREP on it is from 11/21/2010.

This version ran perfectly without issues. I am not sure what MS has changed but it seems there may be a newer version of ADPREP for 2008R2 on newer 'presses' of the disc (.ISO)? Perhaps someone can confirm, as it is also possible that there was corruption in the ADPREP files on the original CD/ISO i was using.

It would be nice to know :)

Monday, October 31, 2011 10:06 PM
  • Just went through the same issue that Brian C. S. did.  New Lanovo server with its server 2008 r2 disk.  First the laguage folder name was not en-us. It was Japan.  adprep still did not work.  after hours of searching i found this post. I check the CD adprep file version and it was 7/14/2009.  I download the ISO trial and it had the new version.  Adprep ran like a charm.  Don't be tricked as you have a brand new disk.  The image Lanovo used of the windows install CD is old.

Thanks Brian.

Friday, May 31, 2013 7:05 PM