none
An error occurred while trying to start the Windows Deployment Services server RRS feed

• Question

• After rebooting the server, I cannot start the Windows Deployment Services anymore.
    It worked perfectly before the reboot. When starting it manually these errors appear in the event log:

The Windows Deployment Services Server service terminated with service-specific error 1460 (0x5B4).

An error occurred while trying to initialize multicast manager. Windows Deployment Services server will be shutdown.
    Error Information: 0x5B4

An error occurred while trying to start the Windows Deployment Services server.
    Error Information: 0x5B4

This is on server standard beta 3.
    Monday, May 21, 2007 7:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

WDS relies on the AD/GC and DNS structure, I had this same problem after some day's i restarted the WDS server

My solution was to explicite forward to the Domain controller and Global Catalog.

(right click servername.. properties.... select the advanced tab. en select your DC and GC)

The second thing you can try is to bypass the dependency of your DHCP server.

on the same window navigate to the Network settings tab. en configure your own "scope" for WDS.

After WDS is started you can switch back to DCHP settings...

The last option is an bypass and not a real solution but it works.. The first option works but is not recommended

in large environments..

Maybe there are some policies that are also preventing the normal start of WDS i'll look further on this..

Hopefully this was helpfull for you,

Regards.

Patrick Veldboer

Friday, June 8, 2007 2:03 PM

All replies

• I have removed the server from the WDS, then I have uninstalled the role, rebooted, reinstalled the role.
    When I started the WDS the server was back in there, but when I wanted to start the service I got the message "the windows deployment services configuration is corrupt". I have triggered these commands to reset this:

Code Snippet

wdsutil /Verbose /Progress /Uninitialize-Server

Windows Deployment Services Management Utility [Version 6.0.6001.16510]
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Tearing down server...

== Original server operational mode: Native ==

-> Resetting setup state

-> Disabling and resetting Windows Deployment Services services

-> Removing server BINL SCP

-> Removing Windows Deployment Services share at \\LH-AJGG6OZWH9Z4.longhorn.offi
    ce\REMINST

== Final server operational mode: Not Configured ==

The command completed successfully.

Then i did this command, but again it failed to start at the end.

Code Snippet

C:\Windows\system32>wdsutil /Verbose /Progress /Initialize-Server /REMINST:"c:\R
    emoteInstall"

Windows Deployment Services Management Utility [Version 6.0.6001.16510]
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Setting up server...

-> Creating Windows Deployment Services installation tree

---> Creating Windows Deployment Services installation root at \\LH-AJGG6OZWH9Z4
    .longhorn.office\c$\RemoteInstall

---> Creating Windows Deployment Services share at \\LH-AJGG6OZWH9Z4.longhorn.of
    fice\REMINST

---> Creating Windows Deployment Services folder \\LH-AJGG6OZWH9Z4.longhorn.offi
    ce\REMINST\Images

---> Creating Windows Deployment Services folder \\LH-AJGG6OZWH9Z4.longhorn.offi
    ce\REMINST\Boot

ce\REMINST\Boot\x86\Images

ce\REMINST\Boot\ia64\Images

ce\REMINST\Boot\x64\Images

ce\REMINST\Boot\Fonts

ce\REMINST\Tmp

ce\REMINST\Mgmt

ce\REMINST\WdsClientUnattend

ce\REMINST\Templates

-> Installing Windows Deployment Services files

---> Installing system files

---> Installing boot files for x86

---> Installing boot files for ia64

---> Installing boot files for x64

-> Updating registry

-> Configuring the TFTPD service

-> Configuring BINL SCP

Enabling Windows Deployment Services services...

Starting Windows Deployment Services services...

An error occurred while trying to execute the command.
    Error Code: 0x41D
    Error Description: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Anyone have an idea what could be the cause? I found this additional error in the event log, but distributed file system hasn't been installed since the beginning.

DFS could not access its private data from the Active Directory. Please manually check network connectivity, security access, and/or consistency of DFS information in the Active Directory. This error occurred on root REMINST.
    • Proposed as answer by JuliusPIV Saturday, April 13, 2013 9:38 PM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 6:45 PM
  • Try checking both the checkboxes on the DHCP tab.  I was getting this error until I checked both options.  I"m not WDS expert, but this error was pretty common in my testing.

Steve Schofield

Microsoft MVP - IIS

Saturday, May 26, 2007 2:09 AM
  • Both check boxes were already marked.

Gonna go for a new server installation.

Saturday, May 26, 2007 1:38 PM
  • The only other thing I fixed was the DNS entry related to my WDS server.   After making sure this was correct, I was able to get the WDS service to start.  My installation also has the DHCP service installed locally on the box.  I rebuilt the box and was still having an issue, the DNS entry must have been contributing to the issue.  I'm not sure, but mine is working like a charm and I'm testing deploying B3 images.
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 9:53 AM
  • We've seen group policy settings that have prevented the WDS server from starting. You may want to look into this.
    Tuesday, June 5, 2007 12:42 AM
  • Hi,

WDS relies on the AD/GC and DNS structure, I had this same problem after some day's i restarted the WDS server

My solution was to explicite forward to the Domain controller and Global Catalog.

(right click servername.. properties.... select the advanced tab. en select your DC and GC)

The second thing you can try is to bypass the dependency of your DHCP server.

on the same window navigate to the Network settings tab. en configure your own "scope" for WDS.

After WDS is started you can switch back to DCHP settings...

The last option is an bypass and not a real solution but it works.. The first option works but is not recommended

in large environments..

Maybe there are some policies that are also preventing the normal start of WDS i'll look further on this..

Hopefully this was helpfull for you,

Regards.

Patrick Veldboer

Friday, June 8, 2007 2:03 PM
  • Just an FYI Patrick, in my case the only thing I changed was this:

'The second thing you can try is to bypass the dependency of your DHCP server.

on the same window navigate to the Network settings tab. en configure your own "scope" for WDS.'

This is probably a bug in the beta3 version, when I change this back to use my DHCP server (the same machine), the WDS service won't start.

Monday, June 25, 2007 12:25 PM
  • I'm getting the same "The windows deployment services installation is corrupt" message, but only via the WDS MMC.  The service is starting OK, and I'm able to build client machines successfully.  However the service can no longer be administered.  I have a second WDS server which can be managed no problem (from the broken machine).

Any thoughts or suggestions?   I've tried re-installing WDS, but the setup tells me it's already installed.

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 5:31 AM
  • I had removed Boot\ia64 folder. After reboot, I got the same error. Then I created ia64 folder and Images folder under it, restarted the service. Everything works now.
    • Proposed as answer by Serdar Kaya Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:35 AM
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:35 AM
  • I don't know about anyone else but this fixed it for me.

wdsutil /Verbose /Progress /Initialize-Server /REMINST:"c:\RemoteInstall"

Much appreciated!

Saturday, April 13, 2013 9:38 PM
  • Thanks! This solved exactly the same issue for me :)
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:19 PM

Much appreciated!

Fot me too, but afer i've removed all subfolders from RemoteInstall except  Boot and Images
    Friday, August 8, 2014 8:21 AM
  • Thanks!!! This solution worked for me. My server is now running well.

Friday, May 29, 2015 2:32 PM

Much appreciated!

Fot me too, but afer i've removed all subfolders from RemoteInstall except  Boot and Images

This just got me past a 2 hour hurdle of getting nowhere. The commands at first didn't help, then I deleted the subfolders (Left boot and images so we don't have to re-import the WIMs) and re-ran the commands and after they completed, WDS was FINALLY RUNNING!!!!

On server 2k8 the same setup went through without a single error. On 2012 it took me 2 hours longer then on 2k8. Nice work Microsoft -.-  At least it works tho...

EDIT: I know this thread is quite old but I wanted to just reiterate the importance of deleting the subfolders, and this issue is obviously still relevant.

• Edited by Tonst3r Friday, October 16, 2015 8:51 PM
    Friday, October 16, 2015 8:51 PM
  • Still relevant indeed. I am running SCCM 1511 on Server 2012 R2. WDS had no troubles until a few days ago - not sure what caused it. All but SMSImages and SMSTempBootImages were gone from RemoteInstall. After following these steps (I deleted SMSTempBootImages and ran the commands), the correct folders were recreated, and the service is back up and running.

Thanks!

Monday, March 14, 2016 6:38 PM
  • Me too Thankyou

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 12:59 PM
  • Thanks, Mine is fixed with this.
    Friday, July 12, 2019 7:26 AM