I am unable to create new objects on AD - Windows cannot create object because the directory service was unable to allocate the relative identifier RRS feed

• Question

• Windows cannot create object because the directory service was unable to allocate the relative identifier

Is there a fix for this ?

I do not have access to the 2nd server the server died. I need to be able to create new users and add new computers to AD

Please assist

Monday, June 29, 2020 12:00 PM

All replies

• Hello 

The error is clear, the server that holds the RID role is not available.
    It seems you had only two DCs and one of them is down, if so and you are getting that error is most likely the server that is down was holding some FSMO Roles.

So first you need to know what server is holding the FSMO Roles, if its the server that is down you would need to  seize the roles and then build another DCs since its not recommended to have only one.

Reference:
    https://www.dtonias.com/seize-fsmo-roles-domain-controller/
    https://learn-powershell.net/2011/06/12/fsmo-roles-and-powershell/

Best regards

Joaquin Camarero Muñoz

Monday, June 29, 2020 10:28 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for sharing here!
    As Joaquin said ,the error caused because the RID role not available.
    I would recommend you check the FSMO role holder by command :
     netdom query fsmo
    If the other roles are still holded by the died DC, we need to size the roles to the good one.Following link for your reference:
    Transferring or seizing FSMO roles in Active Directory Domain Services 
    Best Regards,
    Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 12:53 AM
  • Hi,

Welcome to share your current situation.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, July 2, 2020 7:56 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

Welcome to share your current situation.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Fan

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 6:58 AM