none
List of Windows Server 2012 DHCP icons RRS feed

• General discussion

• Does anyone know where to find a reference list of DHCP icons for Windows Server 2012? Web searches bring up all kinds of links to 2008 and 2003 icons, but nothing in 2012. There are new features with new icons, e.g., the orange arrow overlay on the protocol icon.

Dan

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 1:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

Do you mean this one?

If so, it means that we have configured DHCP failover for IPv4.

Step-by-Step: Configure DHCP for Failover

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831385.aspx

Thanks.

Jeremy Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 23, 2013 3:44 PM
  • Hi, Jeremy.

Yes, that's the new icon I am mostly interested in. After a few minutes, though, it changes to a green checkmark on the primary dhcp server. It does remain on the failover server.

I have seen this document and also taken the courses and exams for MSCE 2012, which covers DHCP failover setup, configuration and features, so I am well educated in this. However I would just like to see the documentation with a description of each icon, as is available for 2003 and 2008. Has Microsoft not provided such a document?

Thanks,
    Dan

Dan

Thursday, May 23, 2013 3:53 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply.

I did some research and it seems that there is no such document for DHCP Server 2012.

Thanks for your understanding.

Jeremy Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, May 24, 2013 3:06 AM
  • Jeremy, thanks for checking into it.

Dan

Friday, May 24, 2013 12:10 PM
  • Orange arrow means failover is configured and communications with partner is unavailable.  If failover is working properly, it's still a green check mark.
    Friday, March 28, 2014 3:23 PM
  • Don't know if anyone is still interested in this but if a google search brought you here I've found:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn800670.aspx

(Cant add links because of verification garbage)

That list the server 2012 ones, including the one you're after.

Monday, September 15, 2014 7:31 AM
  • Thanks, Combustion. Note the publication date of the article: 8/7/2014 - not even 3 weeks ago. Microsoft finally got around to it 2 years after the OS was released! I'd mark this as the answer but the link is gone.

Dan

• Edited by AtlasDan Monday, September 15, 2014 12:11 PM
    Monday, September 15, 2014 12:09 PM
  •  
    Orange arrow means failover is configured and communications with partner is unavailable.  If failover is working properly, it's still a green check mark.

This is correct. To add to this, the orange arrow appears when one of the DHCP servers goes down. The DHCP  that has the orange arrow basically says "I took over" from the server's perspective because it lost communications from the other DHCP. You need to see green on both DHCP or else only one DHCP is responding to clients in a "Load balancing configuration".

Source: Tested in my home lab.

Friday, December 5, 2014 10:54 AM
  •  
    Orange arrow means failover is configured and communications with partner is unavailable.  If failover is working properly, it's still a green check mark.

This is correct. To add to this, the orange arrow appears when one of the DHCP servers goes down. The DHCP  that has the orange arrow basically says "I took over" from the server's perspective because it lost communications from the other DHCP. You need to see green on both DHCP or else only one DHCP is responding to clients in a "Load balancing configuration".

Source: Tested in my home lab.

Microsoft's support link does not say anything about the orange arrow indicating that the Failover link is down.  It says that the orange arrow simply indicates that "Failover is configured".

I'd really like some confirmation on this, because my servers are showing the orange arrow.  When I initiate a replication, it works fine without any errors.  However, I made a change to one server in terms of defined routers, and the change did not carry over to the other failover until I manually initiated the replication.  However, I do not know if failover includes automatic replication.

Thursday, November 19, 2015 3:11 PM
  • There is no link to mark as answer because the post was not created as a Question but as a General Discussion. 

. : | : . : | : . tim

Thursday, November 19, 2015 5:21 PM
  • I remember when I set up my system that some settings do not automatically replicate, or possibly took overnight to replicate or something like that. The leases all replicate automatically, but I believe configuration changes, such as defined routers, or lease duration, etc., had to be replicated manually. I think your icon will also change to the green checkmark, too.

Again, I could be wrong about the details, but I know there were some things that just don't replicate automatically.

Dan

Thursday, November 19, 2015 6:59 PM
  • It does not change to the green checkmark on my servers.  Manually replication works fine.  The Microsoft support page does not say that the orange arrow indicates any kind of failure.  I guess I will just assume everything is fine.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn800670.aspx

• Edited by ZippyDan Thursday, November 19, 2015 7:01 PM
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 7:00 PM
  • Check all your scopes.

My experience has pointed to me see that one scope had exhausted all the available ip address allocations available to it.

Deleted and unused IP and Voila green arrow again. Both servers in HA.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 11:34 PM
  • I recently migrated my DHCP servers to Windows Server 2016.  After migrating, I found this red arrow pointing to the right and tried to figure out what it was.  While this thread got me in the right direction, I thought I'd add some more steps to help people in the future.

Right click on IPV4/IPV6 and hit the  Failover tab.  Check to see if you have any unused replication relationships.  I recently migrated DHCP from Windows 2012 R2 to 2016 and renamed the servers during the upgrade.  Due to the way I moved the scopes, I had a failover relationship defined to one of the servers I retired but it wasn't in use.  As soon as I removed the relationship the Red right arrow icon went away.

This arrow means that failover relationship exists with a partner that the server cannot communicate with.  It doesn't necessarily mean that it's a problem -- as you may not have any scopes using that relationship.  Removing any unnecessary Failover relationships from the failover tab should change the icon from a red right arrow to a green check.

Friday, July 7, 2017 2:26 PM
  • Friday, February 9, 2018 12:54 AM
  • Joe.Robinson is right, I had the orange arrow following a server name change as well as a retired server when moving the scopes around.  The old servers (the retired one as well as the one I was logged into but listed with its old name) were both listed in the failover tab under the properties in "IPv4" on the server with the orange arrow.

Removing this old relationship reverted the icon back to a green checkmark.

Friday, April 6, 2018 7:02 PM
  • Thanks, this fully answers the question and with updated Windows version link
    Monday, June 11, 2018 10:46 AM
  • Thanks mate , much appreciated

Friday, December 21, 2018 5:16 AM
  • thanks for the clear explanation
    Tuesday, January 7, 2020 11:27 PM