none
rebooting server time out of sync RRS feed

• Question

• whenever I reboot my server the time goes out of sync. The server is in a remote time zone but it has its own dc so the time sync should be syncing with that dc. I am not sure where its getting its time from after a reboot
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 7:33 PM

Answers

• The Windows time service follows the domain/forest hierarchy, and works out-of-the box without requiring changes, alterations or anything else. The hierarchy is show in the following diagram taken from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773013(WS.10).aspx:

More info on the time service, and how to troubleshoot it can be found here:

Configuring the Windows Time Service for Windows Server, explanation of the time service hierarchy, and more
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/acefekay/archive/2009/09/18/configuring-the-windows-time-service-for-windows-server.aspx

If you can describe your domain structure, (single domain, multiple domains, etc), DNS structure, etc, it would be helpful to diagnose the problem.

Also, just to eliminate any configuration issues, make sure that all machines are only using the internal DNS server. If using an external DNS server, such as an ISP's, the router, or any other that does not host the internal AD zone for Active Directory, otherwise this will cause issues, too.

In addition, has anything been changed or attempted to alter the default time service settings on any machine?

Any Event log errors regarding the time service on any machine?

Is the BIOS battery intact on this server?

Time zones don't really make a difference since all time is relevant to Zulu (Greenwich) time.

Ace

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Thursday, February 3, 2011 8:16 PM