none
Possible clients for Infrastructure Scale-Out File Server in Windows Server 2019? RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Server 2019 has a new Scale-Out File Server role named Infrastructure, which lets us provide continuously available shares from volumes in a hyper-converged S2D cluster. We can then use these volumes to store vhdx files from a separate Hyper-V Failover Cluster.

Described here:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Failover-Clustering/Scale-Out-File-Server-Improvements-in-Windows-Server-2019/ba-p/372156

Created like this:

Add-ClusterScaleOutFileServerRole -Cluster MyCluster -Infrastructure -Name InfraSOFSName

I understand that the S2D cluster that provides such shares need to be a Windows Server 2019 cluster, but can earlier clients use these shares?

Specifically: Can I run a Windows Server 2016 Hyper-V failover cluster and store the vhdx files on the new infrastructure shares?

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 10:21 AM

Answers

• Thanks.

I read that article as a summary of several (separate) improvements to SOFS in 2019.

One improvement is SMB Connections move on connect. And here it says:

"Synchronous client redirection required changes in the SMB client, so only Windows Server 2019 and Windows 10 Fall 2017 clients can use this new functionality when talking to a Windows 2019 Failover Cluster.  SMB clients from older OS versions will continue relying upon the SMB Witness to move to a more optimal server."

Is this the restriction you are talking about? It read that as very much specific to this one improvement.

Another improvement is Infrastructure Scale-Out File Server, which is what I am after. For this, I see no qualifications/restrictions with regard to clients.

Do you agree?

• Marked as answer by ThomasIsr Wednesday, April 17, 2019 11:00 AM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2019 10:52 AM
  • Yes that’s the restriction that I was talking about.

For the ”Infrastructure SOFS” you only need a Windows Server 2019 to set it up, but all operating systems should be able to use the SMB share.

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 10:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes you should be able to run and store .VHDX files on the new Infrastructure SOFS shares, they still use the same SMB protocol as previously so the shares themselves are the same.

The new functionality itself can only be used by Windows Server 2019 and Windows 10 Fall 2017 clients when communicating to the Windows Server 2019 cluster.

The others operating system versions will be able to use the SMB share, but they will not be able to use the new functionality.

Best regards,
    Leon

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 11:39 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Scale-Out File Server for application data This clustered file server feature was introduced in Windows Server 2012, and it lets you store server application data, such as Hyper-V virtual machine files, on file shares, and obtain a similar level of reliability, availability, manageability, and high performance that you would expect from a storage area network. All file shares are simultaneously online on all nodes. File shares associated with this type of clustered file server are called scale-out file shares. This is sometimes referred to as active-active. This is the recommended file server type when deploying either Hyper-V over Server Message Block (SMB) or Microsoft SQL Server over SMB.

File Server for general use This is the continuation of the clustered file server that has been supported in Windows Server since the introduction of Failover Clustering. This type of clustered file server, and therefore all the shares associated with the clustered file server, is online on one node at a time. This is sometimes referred to as active-passive or dual-active. File shares associated with this type of clustered file server are called clustered file shares. This is the recommended file server type when deploying information worker scenarios.

Here's the docs talked about Scale-Out File Server in Cluster for your reference, hope this can help.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/failover-clustering/sofs-overview

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let us know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 8:14 AM
  • @Leon: Are you saying that I will actually NOT be able to do what I hope? Using one of the new Infrastructure shares to host virtual machines from a Windows Server 2016 Hyper-V cluster?

Is this what you mean by "The new functionality itself can only be used by Windows Server 2019..."?

@Michael: Thank you for reiterating the basics for SOFS as we have known it in 2012/2016. Do you have any comments on my actual question?

Thomas

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 9:42 AM
  • The new functionality will only be used by Windows Server 2019 operating systems, but you should be able to run and store VHDX files on the SMB share still.

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 9:49 AM
  • "The new functionality will only be used by Windows Server 2019 operating systems"

-> What new functionality?

"but you should be able to run and store VHDX files on the SMB share still"

-> Using Windows Server 2016 to run the virtual machines that use the vhdx-files stored on the SMB share created with -Infrastructure in Add-ClusterScaleOutFileServerRole?

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 9:57 AM
  • The new functionality described here:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Failover-Clustering/Scale-Out-File-Server-Improvements-in-Windows-Server-2019/ba-p/372156

Yes you should be able use Windows Server 2016 to run VMs that use VHDX stored on the SMB created with the Add-ClusterScaleOutFileServerRole.

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 10:29 AM
  • Thanks.

I read that article as a summary of several (separate) improvements to SOFS in 2019.

One improvement is SMB Connections move on connect. And here it says:

"Synchronous client redirection required changes in the SMB client, so only Windows Server 2019 and Windows 10 Fall 2017 clients can use this new functionality when talking to a Windows 2019 Failover Cluster.  SMB clients from older OS versions will continue relying upon the SMB Witness to move to a more optimal server."

Is this the restriction you are talking about? It read that as very much specific to this one improvement.

Another improvement is Infrastructure Scale-Out File Server, which is what I am after. For this, I see no qualifications/restrictions with regard to clients.

Do you agree?

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 10:52 AM
  • Yes that’s the restriction that I was talking about.

For the ”Infrastructure SOFS” you only need a Windows Server 2019 to set it up, but all operating systems should be able to use the SMB share.

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 10:57 AM
  • OK. Thanks for clearing that up.
    Wednesday, April 17, 2019 11:00 AM
  • Hi,

I'm glad that the information here is helpful to you. 

Thanks for your sharing and support.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, April 18, 2019 5:53 AM