none
How do I install Flash Player in Server 2012?

Question

• There isn't any flash player add-on listed in IE.  When I go do Adobe to install it, it just says that it is imbedded in IE 10.  So where does one get it?

Friday, December 28, 2012 5:09 PM

Answers

• Ok, so I installed a Server 2012 machine brand new to double check a few things.  There is a Feature labeled "Desktop Experience" under "User Interfaces and Infrastructure" that is not checked by default.  You check that box and the server will restart twice.  Once that is complete follow my previous post (option B is most reliable) and then flash will appear.

I guess somewhere in my lab I or another feature/role turned that on and i never noticed.  Post back if this helps.

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

• Edited by Chris DeCarlo Wednesday, January 02, 2013 4:00 PM Image
    • Marked as answer by dga_1 Thursday, January 03, 2013 11:42 PM
    Wednesday, January 02, 2013 3:23 PM
  • Its embedded so you don't have to install it.  To double-check that it is installed and running you can go to the site below by Adobe and it should tell you if it is truly installed and what version.

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Friday, December 28, 2012 7:15 PM

All replies

• Its embedded so you don't have to install it.  To double-check that it is installed and running you can go to the site below by Adobe and it should tell you if it is truly installed and what version.

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Friday, December 28, 2012 7:15 PM
  • Well that is what I hear.

The link you gave has an empty box where it would display the version.  It tries to install flash but errors out saying that it is embedded.  The moving add displays.

It acts like it is working, but websites cannot tell that it is installed.  It also does NOT show up in add-on manager.

If I try to install, I just get a web page about issues with flash player.

Strange to say the least.

Friday, December 28, 2012 7:53 PM
  • The pages that don't display flash content.....are you using the desktop IE or the metro IE?

Friday, December 28, 2012 11:48 PM
  • Well that is another confusing issue.

I don't believe there is a metro IE.  When I click on the IT tile, it goes to the desktop IE.  I have Windows 8 and the tile usually opens the Metro IE.

System Information shows I am running 6.2.9200 Build 9200.  I downloaded this straight from the Microsoft partner sight.  Was there a version of Server 2012 that didn't have this installed?  What explanation is there for these missing features?

Monday, December 31, 2012 4:11 PM
  • I have tried 3 iso images of Server 2012.  All of them have Flash player missing and the metro IE missing.

Can someone verify that can actually see the Flash player in Manage Add-ons?

I sure can be the only one in the world that this is happening too.  I am installing Server 2012 in a VM on Server 2008 R2.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 12:10 AM
  • Its not that its not installed, its that its not recommended nor safe to have it enabled (how many security exploits get released every week from Flash?? a ton).  So you have two options here....

A. Add the site to trusted sites as well as any additional warnings you get about this site and things being blocked and needing to be added to Trusted sites.  By doing this I was able to play flash videos from Server 2012.

B. Disable Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration.  Open up Server Manager and click on Local Server on the left side.  Now on the right side you'll see something labeled "IE Enhanced Security Configuration" and the words ON, click on "ON" and change it to OFF.  I was once again able to play flash videos by doing this.

These are not recommended as servers could contain sensitive and mission critical data and your opening up more security risks in your server and potential for system errors on your server.  These are your options but please understand the risks.

• Proposed as answer by Chris DeCarlo Wednesday, January 02, 2013 7:38 AM
    Wednesday, January 02, 2013 7:38 AM
  • Well the server I am working on is an RDS server and flash is needed to display all the content in the software.

"B"" was already done.  Configuring RDS seems to turn off Enhanced Security.

"A" results in a message saying an add-on could not be run.

So I am at a total loss.  The Add-on doesn't even appear.

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 2:37 PM
  • Ok, so I installed a Server 2012 machine brand new to double check a few things.  There is a Feature labeled "Desktop Experience" under "User Interfaces and Infrastructure" that is not checked by default.  You check that box and the server will restart twice.  Once that is complete follow my previous post (option B is most reliable) and then flash will appear.

I guess somewhere in my lab I or another feature/role turned that on and i never noticed.  Post back if this helps.

• Edited by Chris DeCarlo Wednesday, January 02, 2013 4:00 PM Image
    • Marked as answer by dga_1 Thursday, January 03, 2013 11:42 PM
    Wednesday, January 02, 2013 3:23 PM
  • That did it!

In your test, was the metro-IE.  When I click IE in the start menu, it opens in the desktop.  Is this normal?

Thursday, January 03, 2013 11:42 PM
  • I had the same thing with the Metro IE just pulling up to the Desktop.  I'm unsure if its a server thing or maybe a local policy that isn't enabled but thats a question for another day :)

Glad your working now.

Thursday, January 03, 2013 11:44 PM
  • This is the right answer .. Thanx man
    Monday, August 05, 2013 12:09 AM
  • it is dont work for me  :-(

http://www.bianews24.com

Sunday, August 11, 2013 3:46 PM
  • u must after install feature desktop experience To update flash player.100% Be done

Sunday, August 11, 2013 4:36 PM
  • u must after install feature desktop experience To update flash player.100% Be done

http://www.bianews24.com

Sunday, August 11, 2013 4:37 PM
  • After trying absolutely everything else, I added the Desktop Experience feature to the server and rebooted. The Shockwave Flash Object now appears in Manage Add-ons and works as expected.

If at first you don't succeed, ask an MVP.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 1:45 AM
  • I find it easier to do this via Powershell.

Install-WindowsFeature Desktop-Experience

Windows Server 2012 - Enable Flash

Pete

Regards Pete Long http://www.petenetlive.com

Monday, August 04, 2014 12:27 PM
  • Yeah, this is the answer.  Thanks!
    Monday, September 08, 2014 2:57 PM
  • so now that I have Version 11 of flash play enabled, how do I update it to Version 19 that is now out??
    Wednesday, November 11, 2015 11:55 AM
  • so now that I have Version 11 of flash play enabled, how do I update it to Version 19 that is now out??
    I am almost certain they come to you as Windows Updates.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2015 8:04 PM
  • I don't know if anyone reads this post anymore but, these are the system requirements for Flash Player on Windows:

• 2.33GHz or faster x86-compatible processor, or Intel® Atom™ 1.6GHz or faster processor for netbooks
    • 32- and 64-bit (unless noted): Microsoft® Windows® XP SP3 (32-bit), Windows Vista® (32-bit), Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10
    • Latest versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Opera
    • 512MB of RAM (1GB of RAM recommended for netbooks); 128MB of graphics memory

from 

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/tech-specs.html

so, doesn't seem to include Windows Server anymore.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 1:17 AM