none
RemoteApp and App-v, when to use

Question

• I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, but as it applied to to different technologies I felt putting it under general 2008 discussion would be best...

My question specifically around a situation in which I would be using just the streaming method of App-v, not the local deployment method (offline).  I am wondering what the benefit is to using a streaming App-V vs RemoteApp.

My company primarily uses Terminal Servers for our branch offices, but our corporate office runs locally.  The annoyance there is that when certain updates are applied to some of our software, it is quite difficult to update all of the desktops here.  So I have begun testing RemoteApp.  I am also looking at applying the same RemoteApp software to our Terminal Servers as well - both to lower the strain on those systems, as well as reduce the total number of systems that need to be managed when an update comes out.

Part of the reason I am migrating it off of the users desktop's is also because many of them have older computers, and I have found that many of the "slow" complaints I get are from their PC's not being able to keep up.  So by offloading the work to a server, I am not just centralizing the management of the software but also increasing productivity.

Between the "slow" reason and because the program they are using requires access to network resources, I would be using the streaming method for App-v.  I already have a test of RemoteApp up so I am familiar with it already.  But reading over the App-V information I can't seem to find much difference between the App-V streaming model vs RemoteApp model.

Could someone please help enlighten me in this area.  And if possible give recommendations on which would be better for my environment (if you need more details please let me know and I will provide as much as I can).

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 2:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

App-V maintains local resources on the client whereas RemoteApp utilizes resources on the backend RDS Server.

The network data sent to the client is also different, App-V has two feature packs that contain all binaries of the streamed app. Remote Apps utilizes RDP, so only the picture information, mouse, keyboard etc are transmitted.

Actually they can be combined, applications can be streamed to a RDS server and published to the client via RemoteApp. For more information, please see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2009/10/14/whitepaper-release-application-virtualization-4-5-for-terminal-services.aspx

For more information about App-V, I suggest that you post to the App-V forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/appvirtualization

Hope the information is helpful for your work.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:22 AM