none
BranchCache Client PC Status - A Firewall Rule is required but not Enabled RRS feed

• Question

• File Server: FS01 - Windows 2016
    Hosted Cache Server: FS02 - Windows 2012 R2 STD
    Clients: Windows 10 Pro

We have setup Hosted Branch Cache on our network. However, we found the below in our client machines.

Below are the results of

1. Event Viewer Shows

2. On Windows 10 Client PC - netsh BranchCache Show Status All

3. on Windows 10 Client PC - "Get-BCStatus"

4. On Hosted Cache Server - Netsh BranchCache Show Status All

5. On Hosted BranchCache Server - Get-BCStatus

Pleasse see above screenshot

Please help me on how to get BranchCache to work and how to ensure the firewall rules are correctly done

Monday, January 14, 2019 7:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

According to your description, you could try to create a inbound rule on TCP port 80 and check whether the issue still exist.

You can refer to this article, which is about how to open ports in firewall.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-open-port-windows-firewall

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Eric

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 7:16 AM
  • I have corrected the firewall warning using "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/networking/branchcache/deploy/use-group-policy-to-configure-domain-member-client-computers"

However I still do not believe the Brachcache in Hosted Mode is working. Please find screenshots below from one of our Windows 10 Client

The current active cache size remains 0

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 3:19 PM
  • Ok. I have added the firewall rules. 

My Inbound Rules are:

My Outbound Rules are

My Get-BCStatus is

my "NETSH BRANCHCACHE SHOW STATUS ALL"

However, I opened at least 5 PPT files that are over 10MB at least 2 times each, after making these changes. If you notice, the "Active Current cache Size" shows 0.

How can I troubleshoot to understand if Branchcache is actually working or not.

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 4:49 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Did that event still happen after you added the firewall rules?

Best Regards,

Eric

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 8:54 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Eric

Friday, January 18, 2019 8:38 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using other’s reply, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Eric

Monday, January 21, 2019 9:41 AM