none
Make VM to see USB drive on the hype-V host

Question

• Hi all,

Is there a way to make VM to see the USB external hard drive on th hype-V host?

Thanks!
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:29 PM

Answers

• For an external USB disk you can always connect it to a virtual machine as a physical disk.  This is quite handy with the R2 beta where we allow you to hot / add remove storage.

Cheers,
    Benjamin Armstrong
    ============================
    Windows Virtualization
    Senior Lead Program Manager

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 1:32 AM
    Owner
  • No.
     USB - Not supported
     Sound - not supported

For these device, use other virtualization (as VMVare workstation, 30 days free try).
    Vladimir
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:10 AM

All replies

• Out of the box, not that I know of. A lot of people are using a product called USB over Network from Fabula Tech to accomplish this. It requires you to install a server program on the hyper-v host and a client application on the virtual machines. They have a 15 day trail you can try. I tried it out and it worked like a charm. There are 3 or 4 products that offer similar functionality (none are free) but I haven't tried them or read any reports of people using them sucessfully.

http://www.usb-over-network.com/usb-over-network.html

Bret
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:07 AM
  • No.
     USB - Not supported
     Sound - not supported

For these device, use other virtualization (as VMVare workstation, 30 days free try).
    Vladimir
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:10 AM
  • For an external USB disk you can always connect it to a virtual machine as a physical disk.  This is quite handy with the R2 beta where we allow you to hot / add remove storage.

Cheers,
    Benjamin Armstrong
    Windows Virtualization

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 1:32 AM
    Owner
  • Nice feature for R2 Hyper-V Ben, Shame we can't mark USB devices as 'Offline' in Disk Management and run them as 'Passthru'.

Cheers, Stephen Edgar
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:10 AM
  • When will Windows 2008 R2 be available?   Thanks.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:20 PM
  • Mostly, it depends on your purpose for remoting the USB device.

If it is a licensing or security HASP that is required for a piece of software then you have network based USB remoting by 3rd parties today.
    And you possibly have the solution Ben mentions in the future.  (I wonder how that works for high availability.. which it shouldn't as it is a local device.)

Personally, if you are just wanting to move files.  Use a share.

Or use RDP:
    http://itproctology.blogspot.com/2008/07/remoting-devices-into-hyper-v-child.html

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:48 PM
  •  Hi John Jy,

It's available now.

Please refer to:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/R2-Beta.aspx

Best regards,
    Vincent Hu

Friday, January 23, 2009 1:11 AM
  • Actually many USB disks can be marked as offline (I have three disks and they can all be marked as offline).  Most USB flash devices cannot be marked as offline - but since this question is about a USB external hard disk it should work just fine.

Cheers,
    Benjamin Armstrong
    Windows Virtualization

Friday, January 23, 2009 5:05 AM
    Owner
  • Thanks, but I need use USB dongle (hardlock key) on the virtual machine.
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 7:34 AM
  • Software HASP and USB key devices are currently only enabled through some type of USB over the newtork device.

There are a few, both software and hardware based.

I have seen solutions from Digi mentioned, Fabula-tech, (and one other I cannot recall right now) mentioned in the forum as working for folks.

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 4:18 PM
  • Hyper-v now support USB dongle to VM or still I need to user third party product? 

Monday, August 22, 2011 6:19 AM
  • nothing has changed in regards to this
    Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful) http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Monday, August 22, 2011 3:34 PM