none
Schannel errors - appears to be causing blue screens RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys

Every once in a while (a few times a month) our RDS server (server 200r82 hyper-v VM) decides to blue screen and restart.

Each and every time it crashes, we notice hundreds and hundreds of schannel errors appearing just before the crash (event ID 36888)

Well, it did it again this afternoon, and over the last 12 hours we noticed 1008 instances of this error, with 60 odd messages appearing within 0.2 seconds of each other, and 2 minutes before the crash.

I also noticed that just before the crash, there were a handful of services which hung seconds before the logged unexpected shutdown event. These services are as follows.

- UmRDPService

- WPDBusEnum

- UxSMS

- Audio Endpoint Builder

After the crash, it doesnt log any Schannel errors. although, saying this now and just checking again, it looks like its logged 127 instances of the same schannel error, starting from after around 2 hours of bringing the server back online.

Do these Schannel errors cause blue screens/crashes? Or is it something else I should be looking at... I'm at a loss, as there's not a lot more in the way of logs that seem to be telling me what's going on..

Monday, October 20, 2014 4:51 AM

Answers

• Hi EsDood,

Would you please let me know complete message of Event ID 36888? For Event ID 36888, it generally occur if a user tries to access a web site using HTTP but specifies an SSL port in the URL. Please check the Schannel tracing log if find relevant clues.

How to enable Schannel event logging in IIS

Please also refer to following thread and check if can help you.

Schannel error, Event ID 36888? - IS there a way to Identify what causes Schannel to log error?

In addition, I noticed that a BSOD issue occurred on the Windows Server 2008 R2. Troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to analyze the crash dump file to narrow down the root cause of the issue. Did you get any dump files? If get, please refer to KB315263 and check if can help you. If this issues is a state of emergency for you. Please contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request, please refer to the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

If any update, please feel free to let me know.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 8:12 AM