iscsi initiator target not reconnecting on reboot RRS feed

• Question

• Windows server 2008 Standard on a VM (vsphere 4.1) - We are using the iscsi initiator to target storage on another bare metal Linux server. Although the reconnect fails on a reboot, we can manually reconnect by going into the iscsi initiator, targets tab, click Log on.., Click Advanced, Check the box for CHAP logon information, then click OK. Unfortunately, we can't seem to get it to save this logon info, nor can we check the box for Automatically restore this connection with the computer starts. If we try checking that box and clicking OK, we get the error "The target has already been logged in via an iscsi session"

What are we doing wrong here?

Thursday, April 21, 2011 5:20 PM

Answers

• Finally called MS support and resolved this.

As it turns out, there is a known bug in Server 2008 (resolved in R2) where you need to set the Local Adapter and Source IP Address in the Target portals (under the Discovery tab in the iscsi initiator), using the Advanced button after clicking Add Portal. We had them left as "Default", which was causing the problem.

The tech said they will look into creating a KB for this.

Peter Bollwerk Sr. Desktop Support Analyst www.brand.net

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Peter,

What is the disk type you assign for the target storage on Windows Server 2008? Is it Dynamic disk or Basic disk?

As far as I know, there is an known issue for the dynamic disk connected with iSCSI intiator. Please check to verify that the target storage is being assigned as Basis Disk.

For more reference:

Supported and tested Microsoft iSCSI Software Target 3.3 limits

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2535811

Hope it helps.

Thanks and Regards
    Scorpio_Milo
    MCTS: Windows Vista | Exchange Server 2007
    MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician
    MCITP: Server & Enterprise Administrator
    Microsoft Infrastructure Consultant
    Enterprise Service: Solution Architect
    Contact me
    My Blog
    Friday, April 22, 2011 12:28 AM
  • Just to confirm: What was the state of the (persistent/favourite) session after the reboot? was it in reconnecting state when you tried to add another session for same target and got error while configuration as you mentioned in your post?

If so you can't add another session to same target (without using mpio) and you first need to stop original session. (or you can remove the target from favorites and reboot again)

Also perhaps http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverClustering/thread/ff26e741-0e2d-47f9-9132-859750ef1514 could be related.

Thanks, Ashutosh
    Friday, April 22, 2011 6:48 AM
  • Hi Peter,

Whether you query is resolved?

Thanks, Ashutosh
    Monday, April 25, 2011 3:53 PM
  • Sorry for marking an incorrect answer. The "known issue" only occurs on previous systems including Windows 2003/XP/2000. Dynamic disk should work fine on Windows 2008.

Here is a workaround if we cannot find out the exact cause - As we can manually connect it after reboot, you can just create a script to help reconnect it each time reboot the computer. It should contain the following purpose:

a) Connect the target disk during machine startup.
    b) Restart server service and services (4 backup services) that depending on server services, so that file share on the iSCSI disk would be available.

You can try to post a thread to Script forum to see if you can get an exact startup script.

Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:38 AM
  • This is still unresolved.

I do not understand your question about the state of the session after the reboot. Where do I find this?

I'm also not sure your related link is related. The link you posted seems to deal with hardware iSCSI with multiple paths and clustering.

Our situation uses software iSCSI with a single path and no clustering.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 9:20 PM
  • in iscsicpl applet, under targets tab, the section where you see the discovered targets, also contain a field called Status telling you status of the iscsi session.

In the link I mentioned, they were certainly using iscsi software initiator. (and you problem also seems to be related to iscsi software initiator)

Thanks, Ashutosh
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 2:17 AM
  • in iscsicpl applet, under targets tab, the section where you see the discovered targets, also contain a field called Status telling you status of the iscsi session.

In the link I mentioned, they were certainly using iscsi software initiator. (and you problem also seems to be related to iscsi software initiator)

Thanks, Ashutosh

we have this same issue

Barry Smoke

AR Division of Legislative Audit

Thursday, June 9, 2011 6:56 PM
  • After a reboot, the target's status is "Inactive".

I am required to click "Log on..", then Advanced, then check the box for "CHAP logon information and enter the User name and Target secret. Checking the box "Automatically restore this connection when the computer starts" does not "save" the login info or make it reconnect on a reboot.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:39 PM
  • Hi Peter,

Thanks for checking the target state as per my request. Can you verify whether "favourite Targets" tab in iscsicpl starts displaying target name when you do the steps: "click "Log on..", then Advanced, then check the box for "CHAP logon information and enter the User name and Target secret. Checking the box "Automatically restore this connection. CLisk OK to complete the connection successfully "

Thanks, Ashutosh
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:28 AM
  • The Favorite Targets tab DOES list the target that I am trying to connect to, even before I go through the steps to manually reconnect after a reboot.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:59 PM
  • HI,

Don't forget that ISCSI will also only automatically connect to drives that are setup as basic drives in the Microsoft Disk Management tool.

As opposed to dynamic etc...

Ian  ;)

Friday, July 1, 2011 2:36 PM
  • Hi Peter,

Sorry I lost track of this issue.

Looks like we need to debug this issue. best approach would be to contact Microsoft Support to have a dedicated support engineer looking into the issue.

In mean time, It would be great if you can share complete memory dump in repro situation (i.e after reboot when the automatic reconnection don't happen), so that I can also look into that and see if I could help you just with that.

Thanks, Ashutosh
    Friday, July 1, 2011 5:17 PM
  • In fact perhaps its worth to take/share a dump before reboot too, after you have completed the process to add the targets to persistent list and created the session. 
    Thanks, Ashutosh
    Friday, July 1, 2011 5:25 PM
  • It is basic in this case.
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 4:56 PM
  • Could you point me to instructions on how to do a memory dump?
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 4:58 PM

As it turns out, there is a known bug in Server 2008 (resolved in R2) where you need to set the Local Adapter and Source IP Address in the Target portals (under the Discovery tab in the iscsi initiator), using the Advanced button after clicking Add Portal. We had them left as "Default", which was causing the problem.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:08 PM

Brilliant, thanks for making the effort. Apologies for responding to an old posting, just wanted to chime in to share that the bug/feature is still present in the Windows 8 iSCSI client. Your workaround fixed it.
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:50 PM
  • Same issue with iSCSI initiator on Server 2012. Workaround published by Peter works like a charm. Thanks.
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 6:56 AM
  • HI,

a look from the inside IP Favourite destinations is correct.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 5:35 PM
  • This is old tread but work for me  on services virtual disk VDS service  i change the value from manual automatic (delayed start)

and now when is rebooted it will connect automatically

Sunday, October 19, 2014 9:18 AM
  • aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand still not fixed, workaround is ok though just annoying

LOL

Tuesday, October 1, 2019 11:02 PM