none
DC server full restore using Veeam backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we have a DC which has been configured with ID management software to use single password for all application , but we want to utilize this server with application configuration and settings . we are taking virtual machine backup using veeam backup . as i know the dc restoration will be working from windows server 2012 r2 using vm genration id to avoid usn related issues. here i want to we are using windows server 2008 r2 as dc and we want to restore the entire vm . i dont think so using Veeam Backup will provide 100% restoration of DC.

What are all the issues we are facing when we are going to restore dc for windows 2008 r2 and how to overcome those issues.

Monday, April 10, 2017 8:25 AM

All replies

• "i dont think so using Veeam Backup will provide 100% restoration of DC."

If you do not think that Veeam will be able to properly backup and restore a DC, you should talk with Veeam about that to determine what limitations they have.

You also might want to consider putting a second DC into your environment if you are concerned about recovering a DC.  This is not to say that you should not be creating a backup of your domain controller, but the primary reason for DC recovery in a single DC environment is a hardware problem with the DC.  Having a second DC in the environment removes that problem.  About the only problem it does not fix is corruption of the AD database, and for that you would need a backup.

tim

Monday, April 10, 2017 1:41 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Here i just want to know is it possible to restore a DC with applications and configuration settings using Veeam Virtual Machine backup. Normally i read when we restore a DC from backup or cloning DC we need VM generation id , unique invocation id etc..and this has been introduced in Hyper-V initially . To support this Replica domain controller Windows server must be a at least 2012 or 2012 r2.

Regards,

Vinoth

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 3:18 AM
  • Hi Vinoth,

Since Veeam backup is the 3rd party software, I'm afraid for more professional support about  Veeam Virtual Machine backup you may try to consult the Veeam vendor

Here are the related articles you could take a look.

https://www.veeam.com/kb2119

https://forums.veeam.com/vmware-vsphere-f24/restoring-2012-domain-controller-vm-t18629.html

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 8:25 AM
  • Hi Mary,

Thanks for your support!!!

Here i want to restore the 2008 r2 DC , i want to know from Microsoft is Whether 2008 r2 is supported or not to restore with application aware image process. As per my knowledge this option is start support from Windows server 2012 R2 with vm generation id to avoid such replication issues.

So please confirm it works for server 2008 r2 DC ?

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 9:03 AM
  • Hi Vinoth,

Thanks for your feedback.

>i want to know from Microsoft is Whether 2008 r2 is supported or not to restore with application aware image process.

I'm sorry since Application-aware processing is Veeam's proprietary technology based on Microsoft VSS. You'd better to confirm this part with Veeam for more professional answer.

Appreciate your support and understanding.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 9:33 AM
  • I agree with Mary.  You are asking Microsoft about how a third party product works.  Microsoft cannot speak for that.  Support implies the ability to look at source code and provide a fix should something go wrong.  Microsoft has absolutely no access to Veeam's code.  You must speak with Veeam.

tim

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 12:58 PM