none
Remote Desktop Connection for Mac to Microsoft Server 2008 R2 does not create redirected printers...

Question

• I have a Macintosh MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard version 10.6.4 that successfully connects to a Windows Server 2008 R2 using Remote Desktop Connection for Mac version 2.0.1.  I have the preferences in the Mac RDC to "Use a printer that is connected to the Mac" checked.

Login is successful, but when print window in Windows comes up, there are no redirected printers.

If I try to connect using a Windows XP machine with RDC, it creates the redirected printers in my home network.

I have searched this forum and many others for answers, but am still not finding any solutions.

Any assistance with this matter would be appreciated...

Sunday, August 22, 2010 3:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You could try using the HP LaserJet 2300 Series PS driver instead.  To do this you need to use a printer mapping file.  Below are the instructions:

1. Open regedit, in the left pane, navigate to and select the following key:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\Wds\rdpwd

2. Create two new REG_SZ values under rdpwd:

PrinterMappingINFName     REG_SZ     c:\windows\inf\ntprintsubs.inf
    PrinterMappingINFSection     REG_SZ     Printers

3. Create a file named ntprintsubs.inf in c:\windows\inf folder using Notepad with the following contents:

[Printers]
    "Exact Client Print Driver Name" = "Exact Server Print Driver Name"
    "HP LaserJet 4350 PS" = "HP LaserJet 2300 Series PS"

Once you have made the changes the printers should autocreate for your Mac clients, using the 2300 driver instead.  Please test printing from different apps and examine the output.

If the above does not work you may be interested to know that the Server 2008 x64 Trial is still available for download.  Here is the link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B6E99D4C-A40E-4FD2-A0F7-32212B520F50

Thanks.

-TP

Monday, August 23, 2010 1:51 AM

All replies

• Hi JPriv,

The Windows System Event Logs will have entries immediately after you make the RDP connection that tells you about the redirection of printers.  The failing ones for the RDP for the Mac will mention installing an HP 4350 Postscript (or something like that - I can't quite remember).  Once installed on the server this will be used for Mac printer redirections (even if it isn't a 4350).  

If you look at this post the suggestion is to use the driver that ships with Windows.  Hmmm  I downloaded mine and it did connect but the client had some font issues in the prints that we have yet to investigate so perhaps try the Windows drivers first.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverTS/thread/c444c2e2-5bca-4ebc-b6bc-10daac65435c

Good Luck

Sunday, August 22, 2010 11:22 AM
  • DaveBoro,

Thank you for the response.

Here is the problem - this is a brand new installation of Windows Server 2008 R2.  It is not an upgrade from Server 2008.  I do not have a previous installation of Windows Server 2008 to get the correct HP LaserJet 4350 PS driver.  I do not have Vista, which is another suggestion on the forum.  I also understand that the driver from HP's site WILL NOT WORK CORRECTLY - font spacing issues...

What am I supposed to do if I don't have access to get the Windows driver from a Windows Server 2008 Machine???

------------------------------

Why doesn't Microsoft include this driver in Windows Server 2008 R2?  Why don't they explain this anywhere in theirdocumentation??  Why don't they include the driver and name it something more universal, like "RDC Universal Printer Redirect"???  (I don't expect you to answer these questions) ;-)

Sunday, August 22, 2010 5:06 PM
  • Hi,

You could try using the HP LaserJet 2300 Series PS driver instead.  To do this you need to use a printer mapping file.  Below are the instructions:

1. Open regedit, in the left pane, navigate to and select the following key:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\Wds\rdpwd

2. Create two new REG_SZ values under rdpwd:

PrinterMappingINFName     REG_SZ     c:\windows\inf\ntprintsubs.inf
    PrinterMappingINFSection     REG_SZ     Printers

3. Create a file named ntprintsubs.inf in c:\windows\inf folder using Notepad with the following contents:

[Printers]
    "Exact Client Print Driver Name" = "Exact Server Print Driver Name"
    "HP LaserJet 4350 PS" = "HP LaserJet 2300 Series PS"

Once you have made the changes the printers should autocreate for your Mac clients, using the 2300 driver instead.  Please test printing from different apps and examine the output.

If the above does not work you may be interested to know that the Server 2008 x64 Trial is still available for download.  Here is the link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B6E99D4C-A40E-4FD2-A0F7-32212B520F50

Thanks.

-TP

Monday, August 23, 2010 1:51 AM
  • One of the things you need to be certain of is that you are using the *exact* same driver on both ends: the RDP client and the RDP recipient where the printer is plugged in. Next, you have to be certain that the printer is named identically on both sides as well.
    Travis L. Grundke Ashton Technology Solutions, Inc.
    Friday, October 22, 2010 1:09 PM
  • Hi Travis,

Actually with Remote Desktop Services in Windows 2008 R2 you do not need to have the exact same printers both sides, and there are MS articles suggesting that you shouldn't do this anymore.  For Windows RDP sessions they need to have the 6.1 Remote Desktop Client and .NET 3.0 SP1 and printer work without the need to install a plethora of matching drivers.  And this does work well.   For the Mac RDC Client it Postscript Printers on the Mac should work via the 4350 PS driver as per TP. 

But you can do as you suggest and install every last printer driver the client needs but there is potential for this to impact on TS performance and is also a pain installing 50 or so printer drivers.

Cheers

Thursday, October 28, 2010 9:04 PM
  • Please Microsoft Help us.   Post the HP 4350 Driver that works with Mac/RDS somewhere!   We shouldn't have to resort to stealing drivers from one OS to another.
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 9:13 PM
  • I think Microsoft may have implemented a solution in Office 2011.  We are experiencing the same trouble, we recently upgraded one of our production servers from Office 2003 to Office 2008 R2 for our accounting department and they began to experience printer redirection issues after the upgrade was complete.  During our trials, we were still able to create printer redirects to other Windows Servers (2008 Standard and 2008 Storage Server flavors) but all of our 2008 R2 servers displayed the same problem. 

During our testing we ran into an issue where one of our iMacs in the IT department would work while others wouldn't.  After comparing software, I soon realized that we had recently installed Office 2011 on there to begin our internal testing with.  When I took one of our test machines that wouldn't create the printer redirects and upgraded the version of office from 2008 to 2011 it worked the first time after reboot.

If you can, give 2011 a try to see if that resolves the problem.  Office 2011 must update some component to the mac that RDC uses to create the printer redirects.

• Proposed as answer by theaccordance Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:10 PM
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 9:04 PM