Win10 1511, how do we force an automatic install RRS feed

• Question

• We can approve the Win10 1511 update for computers. This only seems to stage the upgrade on the system and won't apply it without initiation from within the Window Update client on the system.

Does anyone know how to automate it?

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 3:26 PM

Answers

• This is true for Win10 1511 upgrades targeting Win7 or Win8.1, as there is a EULA step that cannot be bypassed (since you're migrating to a different platform, and we can't necessarily preserve all existing file associations, etc.).  Two questions for you, Bill:

• Are you seeing this issue when approving the upgrade for Win10 1507 (RTM) machines?
    • Once the upgrade is approved, are you seeing it appear on the Win7/8.1 machine for install, and does everything work smoothly from there--other than the fact that it's manual?

We don't want to get into a situation where folks are upgrading accidentally, especially if they didn't actually want the upgrade to apply to their (for example) Win7 machines. This extra manual step prevents that for now, but as admins become more comfortable with the notion of how to properly target upgrades, we'll look at automating this scenario.

Saturday, February 13, 2016 1:34 AM
  • @Steve

On a related note, will there be an update to the OS classification tables so that we can tell what version of Win10 is on the clients?

In the WSUS console, I use the Group By, and set it to Version and I can quickly determine the the version of Windows 10 on the groups of clients.  I am not sure what the "OS classification tables" are though...
    Friday, February 19, 2016 7:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Bill_Tunney,

As far as I know, in order to upgrade clients to win10, we need to install all updates on client, have you make the client up-to-date before upgrade them.

>This only seems to stage the upgrade on the system and won't apply it without initiation from within the Window Update client on the system.

Beside, could you explain the sentence further, I'm not clear about "without initiation from within the Window Update client on the system".

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 8:06 AM
  • This is true for Win10 1511 upgrades targeting Win7 or Win8.1, as there is a EULA step that cannot be bypassed (since you're migrating to a different platform, and we can't necessarily preserve all existing file associations, etc.).  Two questions for you, Bill:

• Are you seeing this issue when approving the upgrade for Win10 1507 (RTM) machines?
    • Once the upgrade is approved, are you seeing it appear on the Win7/8.1 machine for install, and does everything work smoothly from there--other than the fact that it's manual?

We don't want to get into a situation where folks are upgrading accidentally, especially if they didn't actually want the upgrade to apply to their (for example) Win7 machines. This extra manual step prevents that for now, but as admins become more comfortable with the notion of how to properly target upgrades, we'll look at automating this scenario.

Saturday, February 13, 2016 1:34 AM

... but as admins become more comfortable with the notion of how to properly target upgrades, we'll look at automating this scenario.

It seems to not go on, 10240 machines it seems you need to go manually invoke the Windows Update in All Settings, then it goes on automatically.  So, looking for a way to automate the manual check enough to automatically install 1511.
    Thursday, February 18, 2016 6:49 PM

Beside, could you explain the sentence further, I'm not clear about "without initiation from within the Window Update client on the system".

This would be clicking Action Center in lower right of display, All Settings, All Settings, Update and Security, Windows Update and finally the Check For Updates.  Then, it 1511 seems to just go on automatically at that point.
    Thursday, February 18, 2016 7:15 PM
  • It seems to not go on, 10240 machines it seems you need to go manually invoke the Windows Update in All Settings, then it goes on automatically.  So, looking for a way to automate the manual check enough to automatically install 1511.
    Hmm I suppose I should be seeing if I can send a WUAUCLT /updatenow to the boxes...
    Thursday, February 18, 2016 7:20 PM
  • Hey Steve,

We're seeing this both on Win7 machines, and also earlier iterations of Win10.

Once the upgrade is approved there have been varying results.

• Upgrade shows up on the system and can be manually started, but seems to have 3 distinct steps that require manual intervention, 1 to download, 2 to start the install, 3 to reboot and finalize. Previous versions of Win10 will say it'll install at 3 am tomorrow, but it seems tomorrow never comes. :)
    • In some cases the upgrade vanishes from the clients and I've had to stop the service and delete the SoftwareDistribution directory. Upon rechecking with the WSUS it tells me it's available, and I need to follow the steps above.
    Thursday, February 18, 2016 8:43 PM
  • @Steve

On a related note, will there be an update to the OS classification tables so that we can tell what version of Win10 is on the clients?

Friday, February 19, 2016 3:20 PM
  • @Steve

In the WSUS console, I use the Group By, and set it to Version and I can quickly determine the the version of Windows 10 on the groups of clients.  I am not sure what the "OS classification tables" are though...
    Friday, February 19, 2016 7:17 PM
  • @Steve

That does work, but I was thinking more in the OS Version column, where currently it just shows Windows (Version 10). I.E. Windows (Version 10, 1511) or something to indicate major revision level.

Friday, February 19, 2016 9:55 PM
  • Hi Bill_Tunney,

>but I was thinking more in the OS Version column, where currently it just shows Windows (Version 10). I.E. Windows (Version 10, 1511) or something to indicate major revision level.

It seems it is by design.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 4:51 AM
  • @Steve

That does work, but I was thinking more in the OS Version column, where currently it just shows Windows (Version 10). I.E. Windows (Version 10, 1511) or something to indicate major revision level.

There are two fields: Operating System (which only tells you what platform you're running) and Version (which tells you what build you're running).  With Windows 10, you'll see changes to the Version field, but not the Operating System field.  While it's easier to tell from "1511" than "10586" what you have installed, I can't guarantee that this design will change anytime soon.

Thursday, May 12, 2016 1:20 AM
  • Hi everyone,

Any news about the automatic installation?

I tried create a GPO to machines execute the command wuauclt /updatenow, but not worked.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 5:33 PM
  • Hey Steve,

We're seeing this both on Win7 machines, and also earlier iterations of Win10.

Once the upgrade is approved there have been varying results.

• Upgrade shows up on the system and can be manually started, but seems to have 3 distinct steps that require manual intervention, 1 to download, 2 to start the install, 3 to reboot and finalize. Previous versions of Win10 will say it'll install at 3 am tomorrow, but it seems tomorrow never comes. :)
    • In some cases the upgrade vanishes from the clients and I've had to stop the service and delete the SoftwareDistribution directory. Upon rechecking with the WSUS it tells me it's available, and I need to follow the steps above.

The symptoms you describe have since been fixed, as far as I know.  One was because of a registry key related to "Get Windows 10" and the other was a Windows client issue.  Are you still stuck on the old builds?  If so, then we'd like to get you onto 1607.
    Thursday, September 22, 2016 10:54 PM
  • @Steve

No, it's all "Windows 10" by design, as Anne noted earlier.  This is because we don't want to make too big a deal about versions: they're all just updates, and while they deploy differently than your standard quality updates on a monthly basis, the feature updates will get smoother over time, and then the only question is how current you want to be with your Windows 10 installation (i.e., Current Branch or Current Branch for Business, if it's an option).

With that said, you can differentiate Win10 versions by the build number; e.g., 10240 is RTM, 10586 is 1511, and 14393 is 1607.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 10:57 PM