none
Installing 32-bit printer drivers on server 2008 R2

Question

• I am currently setting up a virtualized server 2008 R2 print server that will be working with toshiba and IBM printers. At the company I work for we have some win 7 and some xp users and I need to be able to have both the x64 and the x86 drivers available for each printer on the print server. The x64 drivers install without any problems however when I attempt to add additional drivers I am unable to load the x86 drivers. I have all the up to date drivers from both manufacturers for all our printers, and I have tried all versions of the drivers, ps pcl6 and xps for both environments (x64 & x86). When I navigate to the drivers on our servers and attempt to load them through the add additional drivers wizard, the error message I get is,

"The specified location does not contain the driver TOSHIBA e-studio4520Cseries xps for the requested processor architecture"

This driver however works when loaded onto the client machine directly and pointed to the specified printer. I have also attempted and succeeded to load the x86 drivers onto the print server through the print management console by going to

Print management>print servers>lncprt1(the print server)>drivers

Then I use add drivers and go through the wizard and I am able to successfully add the x86 drivers into the print manager, I then change the driver isolation to shared, however the problem is that even though the print drivers appear there they still are not recognized by the server and are not associated with the printers. When I then try to set up a client machine to print through the print server it comes up with an error message that the print server does not have a suitable driver installed, I then go and navigate to the driver and even then it will not allow it load it gives the same error message as before, "The specified location, ect.".

I have checked the other posts here for solutions as well as elsewhere on the web and have not been able to come up with any working fixes so any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

P.S. sorry for the longwinded post.

Friday, July 15, 2011 7:34 PM

Answers

• Send the driver list from the server.  Use the Export list function when you have printmanagement.msc loaded.
    Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
    • Marked as answer by Bruce-Liu Friday, July 29, 2011 6:49 AM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 11:33 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Are the driver names the same for 32bit and 64bit versions? 

Saturday, July 16, 2011 2:13 AM
    Answerer
  • I saw a previous post which offered this solution and yes, I renamed the x86 drivers to the same name as the x64 and it still would not allow the drivers to be added.

Monday, July 18, 2011 2:47 PM
  • Send the driver list from the server.  Use the Export list function when you have printmanagement.msc loaded.
    • Marked as answer by Bruce-Liu Friday, July 29, 2011 6:49 AM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 11:33 PM
    Answerer