none
Installing SQL on a Windows 2008 Failover Cluster

Question

•  

Can someone send me detailed instructions for installing SQL 2005 SP2 on a Windows 2008 Failover Cluster? When SQL is installed it is creating a second virtual name and this seam wrong to me although my DBAs say this is normal.

Do the resource groups need to be created before installing SQL?

I have read that Failover Clustering will now create the resource groups for you but how do you assign the disk to that instance.

F.Y.I   This cluster was put into production while I was on vacation and did not see the dual virtual names until I returned. I have never installed SQL but have worked with Exchange, and 3rd party application clusters in the past.  At this time I do not have the resources to build a test environment so I am hoping someone can help me explain to my DBAs that only one virtual name is needed and how to fix our existing failover cluster with minimal downtime.

Thanks in advance,

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 1:08 PM

Answers

•  

Not sure if all your questions have been answered.

Can someone send me detailed instructions for installing SQL 2005 SP2 on a Windows 2008 Failover Cluster? When SQL is installed it is creating a second virtual name and this seam wrong to me although my DBAs say this is normal.

Can you elobrate more on what you mean by "second virtual name". Usually when you install RTM you provide a virtual name for the SQL Instance. There are some known issues where SQL Server 2005 SP2 install would create an empty group for the second instance. But's totally harmless and can be manually deleted. It would be good if you share the output of "cluster.exe res" run from one of the cluster node from an elevated cmd window.

The resource groups need not be created. When you install SQL 2005 RTM all sql related resources are installed in either "Available Storage" or "Cluster Group".  On SQL 2005 RTM Setup Page where it say "Cluster Group Selection" you have the option to select a group. This page lists all the available group on the cluster. On this page usually you would end up selecting "Available Storage" or if you have already created a group with you have the option on this page to select the group. Again it does not matter if you do not create a group as SQL Server 2005 SP2 would create a group and move all the SQL Related resource to that group.

On the same page you have an option to select the Disks. This is where you specify you disks for data\logs. This has to be done during RTM install.

I have read that Failover Clustering will now create the resource groups for you but how do you assign the disk to that instance.

So SQL SP2 install would create a group and move all the SQL Resource to this group, even the disk on which the data files reside (selected during RTM install). You have option to add more disks to this group using Cluster Administrator you can select the SQL Group and on the right hand pane you have an option "Add Storage". This will allow you to move any disk from "Available Storage" to SQL Group. And then you can set the required dependencies.

At this time I do not have the resources to build a test environment so I am hoping someone can help me explain to my DBAs that only one virtual name is needed and how to fix our existing failover cluster with minimal downtime.

I agree with you that only one virtual name is required per SQL Instance for users to be able to access the Clustered SQL Server. But once you clarify what exactly you mean by 2 virtual name and share the output requested above, I might be able to provide some info.

Thanks

Vikas

Friday, May 09, 2008 11:44 PM

• Vikas,

Thanks for the responce from your answers I was able to resolve my issues.

What I was doing was creating a Resource Group first like in 2003. Adding my disk then installing SQL which in-turn created a resource group. I was able to delete the empty resource group and it looks correct now.

Thanks for the help

OS
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 5:08 PM

All replies

• Have you seen this article?  Perhaps it will be of assistance...

SYMPTOMS

After you install a Microsoft SQL Server 2005 failover cluster on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008, you cannot find SQL Server cluster resources in Failover Cluster Manager.

CAUSE

In the new Windows Server 2008 cluster, all physical disks that can be clustered are in the Available Storage group until they are used by an application. After you install a SQL Server 2005 failover cluster by using the default disk group, SQL Server cluster resources are located in the Available Storage group. However, the Available Storage group is not visible in Failover Cluster Manager.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932897

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 3:26 PM
  • What is the difference between Method 1 and Method 2? Method 1 says it creates the group and Method 2 Says to create the groups and then select them when installing SQL.  What is meant by "original version of SQL Server 2005"?

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 6:45 PM
  • Hi OverSteer,

Like SQL on 2003 Cluster you only have to create a blank Resource Group for SQL without IP and Networkname.

Then you have to put only the Diskresources in this Group.

We usually put one Disk for DB and one Disk for transaction Log.

After that you can run setup from the Node (active node of the Resource Group) to install simutanously for multi nodes.

All SQL-Nodes must be able to see the Disks.

And only one Person (same account) should be logon on this Node.

During setup you then have to choose the Networkname, the Public IP and SQL-Instance Name. 

Note: The Resource Group Name must not be the same as Networkname.

Hope, it helps

We have installed many times SQL 2005 SP2 for System Center Operations Managers 2007 on 2008 Cluster.

T. Pham

Friday, May 02, 2008 3:35 PM
  •  

Not sure if all your questions have been answered.

Can you elobrate more on what you mean by "second virtual name". Usually when you install RTM you provide a virtual name for the SQL Instance. There are some known issues where SQL Server 2005 SP2 install would create an empty group for the second instance. But's totally harmless and can be manually deleted. It would be good if you share the output of "cluster.exe res" run from one of the cluster node from an elevated cmd window.

The resource groups need not be created. When you install SQL 2005 RTM all sql related resources are installed in either "Available Storage" or "Cluster Group".  On SQL 2005 RTM Setup Page where it say "Cluster Group Selection" you have the option to select a group. This page lists all the available group on the cluster. On this page usually you would end up selecting "Available Storage" or if you have already created a group with you have the option on this page to select the group. Again it does not matter if you do not create a group as SQL Server 2005 SP2 would create a group and move all the SQL Related resource to that group.

On the same page you have an option to select the Disks. This is where you specify you disks for data\logs. This has to be done during RTM install.

So SQL SP2 install would create a group and move all the SQL Resource to this group, even the disk on which the data files reside (selected during RTM install). You have option to add more disks to this group using Cluster Administrator you can select the SQL Group and on the right hand pane you have an option "Add Storage". This will allow you to move any disk from "Available Storage" to SQL Group. And then you can set the required dependencies.

At this time I do not have the resources to build a test environment so I am hoping someone can help me explain to my DBAs that only one virtual name is needed and how to fix our existing failover cluster with minimal downtime.

I agree with you that only one virtual name is required per SQL Instance for users to be able to access the Clustered SQL Server. But once you clarify what exactly you mean by 2 virtual name and share the output requested above, I might be able to provide some info.

Thanks

Vikas

Friday, May 09, 2008 11:44 PM

• Vikas,

Thanks for the responce from your answers I was able to resolve my issues.

What I was doing was creating a Resource Group first like in 2003. Adding my disk then installing SQL which in-turn created a resource group. I was able to delete the empty resource group and it looks correct now.

Thanks for the help

OS
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 5:08 PM
  •  Can sql 2005 cluster be install on windows 2008 core cluster.

Thank you,
    felipe
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 7:30 PM
  • SQL requires the .NET framework, which is not included on Core.  So the answer is No, SQL cannot work on Win2008 Server Core.

Thanks!
    Elden
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 10:53 PM
    Owner