none
DFS Warnings - Win2k8 RRS feed

• Question

• Hiya,

Been running DFS on Win2k8 for a couple of weeks now and it's not been a pleasent experience to say the least. I have managed to fix a number of problems but am now left with one or 2. The most important being our shared Public folders.

One server, the seconday server at the remote site is reporting the following warning, when running the Diagnostic Report:

'This member is waiting for initial replication for replicated folder Public.'

I have forced replication using Replicate Now but it insists on reporting this warning, and has done so since initial setup.

Any ideas?

Thanks..
    Friday, September 5, 2008 8:54 AM

Answers

• Hi customer,

You may encounter the error message "waiting for initial replication" when no primary member is currently specified on the DFS Replication. This DFS member is waiting for initial replication for replicated share folder Public and is not currently participating in replication. This delay can occur because the member is waiting for the DFS Replication service to retrieve replication settings from Active Directory. After the member detects that it is part of replication group, the member will begin initial replication.

1. Please first verify that all the target folder of Public folder is enabled.

2. Please use Dfsradmin to set the primary member in the situation where there is an existing replication group that is waiting for initial replication and no primary member is specified.

Dfsradmin Membership Set /RGName:<replication group name> /RFName:<replicated folder name> /MemName:<member you want to be primary> /IsPrimary:True

For example, assume that you want NA-DC-01 to be primary member server for the replicated folder DATA in the replication group RG1:

Dfsradmin Membership Set /RGName:RG1 /RFName:DATA /MemName:NA-DC-01 /IsPrimary:True

3. You may also run "Dfsrdiag Pollad" against all the members to force them to pick up this change as soon as possible.

Dfsrdiag Pollad /Member:<member name>

Please note:

AD replication latency will often be a factor in how quickly the change is picked up. "Dfsrdiag Pollad" just tells the DFSR service to check its local DC for configuration changes. But if you ran the Dfsradmin command to set the primary member on a server that is using a different DC (very common in branch office scenarios), you will have to wait for that DC to replicate to the ones being used by the other DFSR members.

4. Afterwards, please re-initial a AD replication and then check in the DFSR event log on the primary member you set. If the Public share folder successfully initialized replication, you should see a 4002 event followed by a 4112 event on the member that is the designated primary member.

5. if the error message still occurs, we need to collect the DFSR debug log (%windir%\debug\Dfsr#####.log) on the primary member for further research.

If possible, you may send the DFSR debug log to tfwst@microsoft.com

Hope it helps.

David Shen - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, September 15, 2008 2:50 AM
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 7:55 AM

All replies

• Hi customer,

You may encounter the error message "waiting for initial replication" when no primary member is currently specified on the DFS Replication. This DFS member is waiting for initial replication for replicated share folder Public and is not currently participating in replication. This delay can occur because the member is waiting for the DFS Replication service to retrieve replication settings from Active Directory. After the member detects that it is part of replication group, the member will begin initial replication.

1. Please first verify that all the target folder of Public folder is enabled.

2. Please use Dfsradmin to set the primary member in the situation where there is an existing replication group that is waiting for initial replication and no primary member is specified.

Dfsradmin Membership Set /RGName:<replication group name> /RFName:<replicated folder name> /MemName:<member you want to be primary> /IsPrimary:True

For example, assume that you want NA-DC-01 to be primary member server for the replicated folder DATA in the replication group RG1:

Dfsradmin Membership Set /RGName:RG1 /RFName:DATA /MemName:NA-DC-01 /IsPrimary:True

3. You may also run "Dfsrdiag Pollad" against all the members to force them to pick up this change as soon as possible.

Dfsrdiag Pollad /Member:<member name>

Please note:

AD replication latency will often be a factor in how quickly the change is picked up. "Dfsrdiag Pollad" just tells the DFSR service to check its local DC for configuration changes. But if you ran the Dfsradmin command to set the primary member on a server that is using a different DC (very common in branch office scenarios), you will have to wait for that DC to replicate to the ones being used by the other DFSR members.

4. Afterwards, please re-initial a AD replication and then check in the DFSR event log on the primary member you set. If the Public share folder successfully initialized replication, you should see a 4002 event followed by a 4112 event on the member that is the designated primary member.

5. if the error message still occurs, we need to collect the DFSR debug log (%windir%\debug\Dfsr#####.log) on the primary member for further research.

If possible, you may send the DFSR debug log to tfwst@microsoft.com

Hope it helps.

David Shen - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, September 15, 2008 2:50 AM
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 7:55 AM
  • Thanks David.

I have done as suggested so will leave it for a bit to see if it kicks in.

If it hasn't done so by end of today (Thursday) I will post the debug file to the address you have given.

Thanks for you help..
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 8:34 AM
  • OK, left it for a little longer than originally planned, and it's still reporting the same message for the branch office file server.

Have sent the 6 latest DFSR logs with subject of DFS 2008 - Technet Forums - ldoodle. Also note I am not getting events 4002 and 4112 in Event Viewer.

Thanks
    • Edited by Lanky Doodle Friday, December 5, 2008 10:49 AM Spelling
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:07 AM
  • I also seem to be having the same issue. Has anyone figured out a fix besides calling MS Tech Support?

KofQ
    Friday, October 10, 2008 3:19 AM
  • I have opened a log with MS PSS. They seem to think it's an MTU related issue. They ran the following ping command from site a to site b

ping siteb-fileserver -f -l 1472 and the response came back saying "Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set."

They believe this is the cause of our problems. However, if I ping bbc.co.uk with the same parameters (ping bbc.co.uk -f -l 1472) it comes back good. This leads me to believe the problem is with our VPN connection as straight out to the internet works ok.

Our VPN is provided by ISA 2006 servers at both ends, and I have made the registry change to increase the MTU from the default 1400 to 1500, but this has made no difference (I can only send packets of 1372 and below through the VPN).

Maybe Windows 2008 DFS-R simply does not work through ISA 2006 VPN tunnels?
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 2:42 PM
  • Hiya,

Sorry to bring up this old thread, but i've still got problems with this.

Can anyone confirm if Microsoft are being completely honest when they say you need packet sizes of 1472 to get DFS-R on Windows 2008 working?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Friday, December 5, 2008 10:35 AM
  • Just curious if you had ever found a solution to this? ;)
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 9:21 PM
  • i have the same problem.

What i did is to restar DFS replication service on both server.

Serges
    Friday, August 19, 2011 10:42 AM
  • I've done that too now and it seems to be going.  I'm starting to become less and less of a fan of DFS with so many problems.  Thanks Tchedson.
    Friday, August 19, 2011 2:30 PM