none
Domain member time sync issues RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on a very mixed domain environment (DC's are 2016, member servers are in process of being upgraded from 2008 R2 to 2012 R2 or 2016 so all 3 flavors currently exist). 

Time sync settings used to point to NTP for all member servers, but new GPO's have now changed them to use NT5DS, with only the PDC emulator reaching out for NTP.

Still we are seeing some member servers unable to sync time properly.  One one example server:

1) net time \\server  and net time /domain:my.domain - the result is roughly 4-5 seconds off

2) on member server - w32tm /unregister - w32tm /register - restart windows time service - w32tm /resync - the result does not change 

Running w32tm /query /source shows the PDC-e as the source.  I've worked on environments where the time might continue to drift over time after a forced sync brings it back in line - but in this case a forced resync is still leaving a notable gap.  Any thoughts on what areas to troubleshoot?

• Edited by tickermcse76 Wednesday, January 22, 2020 6:41 PM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2020 6:34 PM

All replies

• Just to add that if i run the legacy " net time /set" command it brings the time inline immediately.

net time \\PDC-e /set /y

However - the time will start drifting off again quickly.  On this example server where the gap is 4-5 seconds; after net time set - the gap will re-establish to about 1.5 seconds within 30-45 seconds.
    • Edited by tickermcse76 Wednesday, January 22, 2020 6:44 PM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2020 6:42 PM
  • for all members (besides PDC emulator)

w32tm /unregister
    net stop w32time
    w32tm /register
    net start w32time
    w32tm /config /syncfromflags:domhier /update
    net stop w32time
    net start w32time

then check

w32tm /query /source
    w32tm /query /configuration

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 7:32 PM
  • Thanks for your response Dave Patrick - but what exactly should I be looking for in:

w32tm /query /source

I can tell you that on both my reference "good" and "bad" servers they return exactly the same result.  My understanding is "domhier" will set NT5DS and the same is accomplished by the unregister/register process as NT5DS is default for domain joined systems.   In any case I have run the commands you suggested in sequence with the same result.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 8:36 PM
  • but what exactly should I be looking for in:

w32tm /query /source

Can you post the result?

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 8:39 PM
  • Hi,

How is your current situation now?
    If possible, would you please tell us the result of w32tm /query /configuration   
    after you run the following command:
    w32tm /resync /nowait
    net stop w32time
    w32tm /unregister
    w32tm /register
    net start w32time

Also,check the if the registry for the clients are right.
    PDC
    Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config
    Key Name: AnnounceFlags
    Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value )
    Data: 0x5

Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters\Type
    Key Name: Type
    Type: REG_SZ(String Value)

Data: NTP
    Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters
    Key Name: NtpServer
    Data: Peers  (time.windows.com,0x9)

===other DC & Client===
    Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters\Type
    Key Name: Type
    Data: NT5DS

Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config
    Key Name: AnnounceFlags
    Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value )
    Data: 0xa

Best Regards,
    Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, January 23, 2020 2:15 AM