802.1x wired EAP packets being drop silently from Cisco 3750 switch RRS feed

• Question

• I have a very strange issue and I hoping someone can point me in the right direction to troubleshooting this. I have NPS on Windows 2008 R2 that is currently working great for a Wireless 802.1x and a whole host of other RADIUS clients. It is even authenticating the Cisco switch's login requests for the same switch that I'm testing 802.1x on.

The issue I see is that a Window 7 client requests authentication, the NPS send back a EAP-TLS reply, the client send it's TLS cert to the NPS which just drops the packet and send another "I'll accept EAP-TLS" packet. It does the same thing with EAP-PEAP. I'm about to pull my hair out because I can't find any errors on the NPS or the Cisco switch except for timeout errors on the switch and client.

Thanks for your help!

Sunday, June 24, 2012 3:57 PM

Answers

• It turns out my Cisco 3750 was dropping the RADIUS packets from the NPS because it doesn't like fragmented frames. I found a TechNet article about this and how to reduce the EAP payload size. This solved the issue.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755205%28v=ws.10%29

Friday, July 6, 2012 6:45 PM

All replies

• Hi NathanOmni,

Thanks for posting here.

> the NPS send back a EAP-TLS reply, the client send it's TLS cert to the NPS which just drops the packet and send another "I'll accept EAP-TLS" packet

I’m not quite sure the root cause yet, but it seems the certificate that provided by client was rejected . Do we have any other client that can successfully pass the authentication or this was only occur on a single client ?

We have a blog post that discussed steps on how to investigate and troubleshoot 802.1x authentication issue. Perhaps we might will benefit form that :

Authentication Problem on a 802.1x Wireless Network

http://blogs.technet.com/b/yuridiogenes/archive/2008/04/18/authentication-problem-on-a-802-1x-wireless-network.aspx

Meanwhile, have we checked the certificate we issued to clients? And what about the conditions we defined in policies on NPS server ?

Certificate requirements when you use EAP-TLS or PEAP with EAP-TLS

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814394/

Regards,

Tiger Li

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact  tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tiger Li

TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 25, 2012 3:24 AM
  • Hi NathanOmni,

If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

Regards,

Tiger Li

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact  tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tiger Li

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 8:13 AM
  • I've started a support call with Microsoft. I'll post the results.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:17 PM
  • Hi NathanOmni,

It has been a while, do we have any update form our support service?

Thanks.

Tiger Li

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tiger Li

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 3:05 AM
  • Not yet, I have a ticket open with Cisco and Microsoft right now trying to get to the bottom of this. I'll update the forum as soon as I have more info.
    Tuesday, July 3, 2012 3:19 AM
  • It turns out my Cisco 3750 was dropping the RADIUS packets from the NPS because it doesn't like fragmented frames. I found a TechNet article about this and how to reduce the EAP payload size. This solved the issue.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755205%28v=ws.10%29

Friday, July 6, 2012 6:45 PM
  • Thank you, was pulling mu hair out trying to make this work to a couple different Cisco switches and this resolved it!
    Monday, December 22, 2014 9:00 PM
  • I know this is an old post but I'm running into the same issue.

I changed the MTU setting but it did not make a difference for me.  All my wireless clients authenticate with both PEAP and EAP/TLS.  but I can't get any wired clients to authenticate with a Cisco 3560CX IOS 15.2 switch. I can see the login attempts in the security log but it just shows log on and then <g class="gr_ gr_660 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" data-gr-id="660" id="660">log</g> off immediately after. 

Any ideas or what I should check?

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 5:04 PM