none
User profiles after domain migration

Question

• Hi All,

We are migrating from Domain A to Domain B for all of our users. After we move user from A to B, we want them to logon to a computer still bound to Domain A, and get the old profile? Can we do some kind of re-mapping here without migrating the actual computer account across from A to B.

Reason being is Domain A will be staying still as a resource Domain. We prefer to not re-bind all computers to Domain B if possible. All users will be migrating with SID history.

Monday, November 12, 2018 1:34 PM

All replies

• Make sure there is a Trust between Domain A and Domain B

Charlie Coverdale

Disclaimer: You take sole responsibility for any actions you take based on my posts.

Monday, November 12, 2018 1:55 PM
  • Yep we have a two-way external trust in place currently.

The issue we are facing at the moment is the time it takes to deploy the ADMT agent on target machines and get them on Domain B. We simply don't have the time for the amount of machines we have to do.

Other options? All we want is the old profile to be used still.

• Edited by JamesNL Monday, November 12, 2018 2:00 PM
    Monday, November 12, 2018 1:59 PM
  • Hi James,

Retaining the existing User Profiles on their computers ... Unfortunately ADMT Security Translation Wizard takes quite a long time to run so time will be an issue. The alternative is for users to log on to their existing computers with their Domain B credentials, get a new windows profile and manually copy the contents from their old profiles to their new ones.

Here is a run-through of the process from a non-microsoft [disclaimer] website.

https://blog.thesysadmins.co.uk/admt-series-10-security-translation-wizard-local-profiles.html

Charlie Coverdale

Disclaimer: You take sole responsibility for any actions you take based on my posts.

Monday, November 12, 2018 3:30 PM
  • Hi James, how did you get on?

Charlie Coverdale

Friday, May 3, 2019 7:42 AM