none
RDS User Disk Profiles and Roaming Profiles RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Experts,

I wonder if someone can help me here please. In my current setup we use roaming profiles so when a user logins from a windows7 client computer a V2 profile is created copied back and forth to the server, which is all working well.

Now I am trying to bring RD Service in, allowing same users to be able to login from anywhere to access their work resources. RDS on its own is working but I am having some difficulty here with user profiles.

Without UPD

When a user login via the RDWeb he gets a new profile V4 in the shared profile area plus a local profile on the RD Server in C:\users which stays even after the users has logged off, if I look at the User Profile details in the System Properties it says abc user Roaming profile.

Above is not what I wanted hence configured User Profile Disks which does what i want but causes other issues

With UPD

Behaviour is the same I get V4 profile, a VHDX disk, a local user profile in c:\abd user which gets deleted when user logs off which is all well and good, pretty quick login.

Problem appears when I login as domain administrator or even a local server administrator I get temp profile so existing Administrator gets a profile like Administrtor.domain.backup0 or something like that.

does anyone know why ? What is that I am doing wrong. I would really appreciate all your help.

I am clueless- Many Thanks

22/06/14

ok a bit more digging around. What I have found after applying the UPD the local accounts on the Remote Desktop Server and the Domain Administrator account also get migrated or converted to UVHD files. Hence I get an Administrator profile an Administrator.00 profile and an Administrator.backup-00 profile. I have now cleaned all the .00 profiles and deleted the registry keys as well, all I have now is an Administrator profile in c:\users which I guess is used for both local and domain Administrator 

Is this normal ? is this how it should be ? is it a problem or is it something I am doing wrong.

Please have a look at the screen dump for more clues.

Many Thanks

• Edited by HammerRodx Sunday, June 22, 2014 10:42 PM Update
    Saturday, June 21, 2014 10:56 AM

Answers

• Hi, 

Mine is 2012 R2, though at one point I thought I reinstall 2012 apply the fix and see if it makes a difference. Before doing this I searched if the hotfix really solves the problem, from what I have read it doesn't.

I have now gone with traditional RD roaming profiles via GPO's with folder redirection and all seems to be working. The only kind of draw back to that is any user will get a roaming profile as the policy is applied the computer but I can live with that, is not an issue.

Thanks for help  

Thursday, June 26, 2014 11:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting in Windows Server Forum.

From your description it seems that you are facing temporary profile issue with User profile Disk. For this issue first you can find the correct UPD and then can delete the profileimage path for that profile under registry key under below mention path.
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

More information.
    RDS 2012: Profile Disks and Temp Profiles

Apart from this, when you apply UPD for any users\administrator account and access it then it will create UVHD files for that users which is by default. Please check following links for details.

1. Easier User Data Management with User Profile Disks in Windows Server 2012
    2. Working with User Profile Disks on Session-Based Desktop Deployments

Hope it helps!

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

Monday, June 23, 2014 6:50 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for the references I have been through them already. I have followed the steps you specified, doesn't work properly. I keep on getting user has been logged with temporary profile. This is quite a nuisance, Microsoft's idea of UPD is good but should have excluded domain and local Administrators from it.

I will keep on trying, if there is a better way or a workaround I will appreciate

Thanks 

Monday, June 23, 2014 8:18 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting in Windows Server Forum.

There is one FIX available for Server 2012, please try install and check the result.
    FIX: You are logged on with a temporary profile to a remote desktop session after an unexpected restart of Windows Server 2012
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2896328

Hope it helps!

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

Thursday, June 26, 2014 6:57 AM
  • Hi, 

Mine is 2012 R2, though at one point I thought I reinstall 2012 apply the fix and see if it makes a difference. Before doing this I searched if the hotfix really solves the problem, from what I have read it doesn't.

I have now gone with traditional RD roaming profiles via GPO's with folder redirection and all seems to be working. The only kind of draw back to that is any user will get a roaming profile as the policy is applied the computer but I can live with that, is not an issue.

Thanks for help  

Thursday, June 26, 2014 11:36 AM