none
Clear/Disable NetBIOS cache (nbtstat -R)

Question

• Hi,

I dont know if this is the right place to ask, If not, please refer me to the right place.

In windows nbtstat command, we can use parameter -R to clear cache:

-R   (Reload)         Purges and reloads the remote cache name table

1. Is it possible to configure in Windows to avoid having this cache at all ? Maybe in regsitery or Control Center ?

2. How via C++ API can i clear this cache ?

Thanks

Tuesday, March 07, 2017 12:33 PM

All replies

• Hi.  Could I ask please why you want to disable the cache as its there for a reason.

Are you using NetBIOS as if not you can disable its support over TCP/IP - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc940063.aspx.  

As for the the C++ API query, that might be best aimed at an app/dev forum, unless anyone here can help with that.

Tuesday, March 07, 2017 4:04 PM
  • Hi ilan.sch,

>1. Is it possible to configure in Windows to avoid having this cache at all ? Maybe in regsitery or Control Center ?

You may check if set registry key "CacheTimeout" to be 0 for NETBIOS could work

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\NetBT\Parameters, CacheTimeout, the default is 6mim

>2. How via C++ API can i clear this cache ?

For code related questions, you'd turn to MSDN forum for better help.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 2:44 AM
  • I need to disable cache since the machine is being remotely access via VPN session and the ip on vpn session is not relevant, it saves alot of irrelevant ips and interrupt my nbnstat querties..

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 9:47 AM
  • Hi ilan.sch,

Then what about the result to set CacheTimeout to be "0", could it meet your requirements?

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 13, 2017 8:35 AM