none
Is it Possible to Change the "Replicated Folder" Name of a Replication Group RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I have run into an issue that requires me to change the "Replicated Folder" name (which is really more of a label, isn't it) for each of our Replication Groups.  It seems our backup software builds a Shadow Copy Components path based on a few things, one of which is the "Replicated Folder" name provided to it by the 'DFS Replication Service writer' (VSS).

Here's an article describing the issue:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000095098

I'm afraid if I can't change this, we will have to recreate all of our replication groups (ugh).

I've seen some proposed solutions out there involving ADSI, but wanted to make sure this would be OK.  I believe there are some file system components related to the "Replicated Folder" label as well, so wasn't sure if ADSI would be enough.

Any insight would be appreciated.

• Edited by HeyAdmin Monday, March 28, 2016 7:56 PM
    Monday, March 28, 2016 7:55 PM

Answers

• I've done some tests and it appears we are able to change the Replication Group and Replicated Folder names in ADSI as follows:

DC=domain,DC=pri

---->CN=System

--------->CN=DFSR-GlobalSettings

-------------->CN=<Replication Group Name> (You can rename everything after CN=)

------------------->CN=Content

------------------------>CN=<Replicated Folder Name> (You can rename everything after CN=)

Once AD replication is converged, you should be able to re-open your DFS Management console and see the change.  I noticed that the xml files at <Drive>:\System Volume Information\DFSR\Config on volumes involved in replication get updated dynamically.

These changes did not cause any interruption and did not require any service or system restarts.

It was relatively easy to do, and it begs the question:  "Why didn't Microsoft make this feature available in the DFS Administration console?"

3/30/2016 Update

I use an awesome DFSR monitoring solution that is a slightly modified version of this one by Martin (which is totally awesome.)  It's powershell and uses WMI to query for replication group and folder information.  I discovered that even though my ADSI changes didn't impact replication whatsoever, updating the WMI repository requires a restart of the DFSR service.  I learned this when my implementation of Martin's solution went awry.  A restart of the DFSR service remedied it.  I validated the fact that a restart of the service updates the WMI repository by doing before and after WMI queries of my own.

4/6/2016 Update

In a few instances it was necessary to first restart the WMI service, AND THEN restart the DFSR service.  Everything is still working splendidly.

Monday, March 28, 2016 11:51 PM

All replies

• I've done some tests and it appears we are able to change the Replication Group and Replicated Folder names in ADSI as follows:

DC=domain,DC=pri

---->CN=System

--------->CN=DFSR-GlobalSettings

-------------->CN=<Replication Group Name> (You can rename everything after CN=)

------------------->CN=Content

------------------------>CN=<Replicated Folder Name> (You can rename everything after CN=)

Once AD replication is converged, you should be able to re-open your DFS Management console and see the change.  I noticed that the xml files at <Drive>:\System Volume Information\DFSR\Config on volumes involved in replication get updated dynamically.

These changes did not cause any interruption and did not require any service or system restarts.

It was relatively easy to do, and it begs the question:  "Why didn't Microsoft make this feature available in the DFS Administration console?"

3/30/2016 Update

I use an awesome DFSR monitoring solution that is a slightly modified version of this one by Martin (which is totally awesome.)  It's powershell and uses WMI to query for replication group and folder information.  I discovered that even though my ADSI changes didn't impact replication whatsoever, updating the WMI repository requires a restart of the DFSR service.  I learned this when my implementation of Martin's solution went awry.  A restart of the DFSR service remedied it.  I validated the fact that a restart of the service updates the WMI repository by doing before and after WMI queries of my own.

4/6/2016 Update

In a few instances it was necessary to first restart the WMI service, AND THEN restart the DFSR service.  Everything is still working splendidly.

Monday, March 28, 2016 11:51 PM
  • Hi,

Glad that you figure it out and thanks for your sharing the steps.

Based on the search, I haven't found the related articles from mirosoft to explain why it doesn't integrate to DFS managemnet console.

And for good suggestions, you could try to give feed back to the following link.

https://connect.microsoft.com/

Best Regards,

Mary Dong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 3:08 AM
  • Thanks HeyAdmin! Just what I needed.

George Perkins

Friday, April 27, 2018 1:38 PM
  • ([ADSI]"LDAP://CN=oldname,CN=DFSR-GlobalSettings,CN=System,DC=domain,DC=com").Rename("CN=newname")

Ran this from powershell successfully.  

Mattythefatty

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 6:28 PM