none
How to list installed printers on all machines in domain?

Question

• Hello, I'm trying to migrate all our users to a new print cluster 2008 r2 in a new domain and have a script that remapped mine printers successfully off the old cluster to the new one. It checks my printers by name and then remaps the name to the new cluster without the users knowledge (same printers just new domain). I put this in a GPO but have no way to track it's progress or successes or failures. I've tried a bunch of other suggested .vbs scripts and powershell commands, but nothing seems to be able to show me who's machine has what printers installed. Is there anything out there that can help on multiple OS versions (XP-Win7)? Thanks
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 11:37 PM

Answers

• I have written the batch file for you. Push it via GPO & check the files from \\serverip\\share

echo off

cd \

WMIC PRINTER LIST STATUS >> %computername%.txt

copy *.txt \\serverip\\share

Best regards Biswajit Biswas Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights. MCP 2003,MCSA 2003, MCSA:M 2003, CCNA, MCTS, Enterprise Admin

• Edited by bshwjt Friday, January 11, 2013 7:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by MarcGel Friday, January 11, 2013 10:18 PM
    Friday, January 11, 2013 7:52 AM

All replies

• I have written the batch file for you. Push it via GPO & check the files from \\serverip\\share

echo off

cd \

Best regards Biswajit Biswas Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights. MCP 2003,MCSA 2003, MCSA:M 2003, CCNA, MCTS, Enterprise Admin

• Edited by bshwjt Friday, January 11, 2013 7:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by MarcGel Friday, January 11, 2013 10:18 PM
    Friday, January 11, 2013 7:52 AM
  • It seems to work if I change the copy *.txt to copy %computername%.txt \\serverip\share. Otherwise it copies any .txt file and in my test I had about 6 files at the root. I'll try this! Thanks!
    Friday, January 11, 2013 9:36 PM
  • Hm. Got it. try this.

echo off

cd \

c:

md printer

cd printer

Saturday, January 12, 2013 5:20 AM
  • I know this is old, but thought I'd drop my 2cents. You can streamline this by using:

WMIC PRINTER LIST STATUS > \\serverip\share\%computername%.txt

It's worth noting that I've changed ">>" to ">".

The difference is that 2 >'s will ADD to a file, while 1 > will create the file over. That's important if you want to do something like make this part of their login script and keep an up to date list of printers. 1 > will ensure it always just has the current list. With >> then the file will grow and grow every time they login.

This method also means if you run the script multiple times, you don't have to worry about copy having problems overwriting the file, which it might ask to do too.

Thursday, August 20, 2015 12:59 PM