none
Update Services stops during the WSUS "Server Cleanup Wizard" job RRS feed

• Question

• Each time I run the Server Cleanup Wizard job, the Update Services service stops. I have yet to find an article that explains if this is expected behavior. I assume this is by design (not sure why this would be required)? So, does WSUS continue to function during this time. The Update Services service stopping would just prevent the WSUS server itself from checking for updates.
    Wednesday, November 22, 2017 3:48 PM

Answers

• Hello,

In my opinion, server cleanup wizard should not influence WSUS client to report to WSUS server. 

Based on my test, when running Server cleanup wizard, WSUS server synchronization will be canceled. This is normal, as we could not write data to the meta data database when there is another process trying to remove data from it.

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_Moderator Thursday, November 23, 2017 2:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jack Leidu Thursday, November 23, 2017 2:57 AM
    Thursday, November 23, 2017 2:23 AM

All replies

• Hello,

In my opinion, server cleanup wizard should not influence WSUS client to report to WSUS server. 

Based on my test, when running Server cleanup wizard, WSUS server synchronization will be canceled. This is normal, as we could not write data to the meta data database when there is another process trying to remove data from it.

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_Moderator Thursday, November 23, 2017 2:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jack Leidu Thursday, November 23, 2017 2:57 AM
    Thursday, November 23, 2017 2:23 AM
  • That makes perfect sense. I actually noticed that my clients could still report into WSUS during this cleanup time, which agrees with what you are saying. Once the clean up job finished and I could access the console again I saw that based on time stamps clients had been "checking in" throughout the time of the cleanup jobs. I really appreciate the response.
    Thursday, November 23, 2017 2:37 AM
  • I am glad to help! Would you please mark the reply as answer? 

Thanks,

Yan

Thursday, November 23, 2017 2:56 AM