none
PositionalParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetChildItemCommand

Question

• Hi all,

I have new to PS and trying to run a powershell command, which is giving me error. Please let me know what I am missing here. I am having trouble to run the script to create folders and collections

PS E:\> dir SCCMTools\powershellscripts\createfoldersandcollections.ps1> Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned
    Get-ChildItem : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'RemoteSigned'.
    At line:1 char:4
    + dir <<<<  SCCMTools\powershellscripts\createfoldersandcollections.ps1> Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: ( :)[Get-ChildItem], ParameterBindingException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetChildItemCommand

PS E:\>

----
    I think the issue with the .ps1 but I am not sure what will be the work around.
    When I run this without .ps1, it gives me the below error

PS E:\SCCMTools> dir powershellscripts\CreateFoldersAndCollections
    Get-ChildItem : Cannot find path 'E:\SCCMTools\powershellscripts\CreateFoldersAndCollections' because it does not exist
    At line:1 char:4
    + dir <<<< powershellscripts\CreateFoldersAndCollections
    + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (E:\SCCMTools\po...sAndCollections:String) [Get-ChildItem], ItemNotFound
    Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetChildItemCommand

Sunday, March 3, 2013 12:17 AM

All replies

• First of all dir is used to show the content of a folder not to execute a script.

When you try to dir powershellscripts\CreateFoldersAndCollections it thinks that CreateFoldersAndCollections is a folder that it should display the content for. However this a file, and there is no folder, therefore it cannot find the path you defined.

If you wan to run a PowerShell script, within the console you can either just type in the full path
    E:\SCCMTools\powershellscripts\createfoldersandcollections.ps1

Or you can type in the relative path, ex. if you are in E:\SCCMTools:
    .\powershellscripts\createfoldersandcollections.ps1

Also if you want to use Functions/Variables defined in this script afterwards, you should run it with a period in front, like this:
    . E:\SCCMTools\powershellscripts\createfoldersandcollections.ps1

If you need to run the script with another ExecutionPolicy, you will either have to run the command Set-ExecutionPolicy beforehand, or run the script in a new powershell session, like this:
    Powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned E:\SCCMTools\powershellscripts\createfoldersandcollections.ps1

Best Regards
    Claus Codam
    Consultant, Developer
    Coretech - Blog

Sunday, March 3, 2013 2:56 AM
  • Nice explanation, Claus - one comment on your second paragraph.

the line dir powershellscripts\CreateFoldersAndCollections doesn't work because there is nothing with that name found - the file-vs-folder doesn't matter because of the weird get-childitem semantics, where a file is treated as a container for itself.

Monday, March 4, 2013 12:21 AM
  • You are absolutely right Alex, I'm sorry that I weren't that clear.

As you said, Get-ChildItem will work on both folders and files, all I meant was that without the file extension he was actually looking for a folder instead of the file. Then again it could just be a file without an extension :)

Best Regards
    Claus Codam
    Consultant, Developer
    Coretech - Blog

Monday, March 4, 2013 12:56 AM
  • First of all, many thanks for your reply.

I am new to PS and you can see I am keep trying to run couple of PS command.

I am tring to follow this guide http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6799-using-system-center-2012-configuration-manager-part-9-deploying-monthly-updates/without any success. I am not sure, why I am having different result.

Windows PowerShell

Copyright (C) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\Windows\system32> cd 'E:\SCCMTools\PowershellScripts\createfoldersandcollections'

Set-Location : Cannot find path 'E:\SCCMTools\PowershellScripts\createfoldersandcollections' because it does not exist.

At line:1 char:3

+ cd <<<<  'E:\SCCMTools\PowershellScripts\createfoldersandcollections'

+ CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (E:\SCCMTools\Po...sandcollections:String) [Set-Location], ItemNotFoundE

xception

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.SetLocationCommand

PS C:\Windows\system32> cd E:\SCCMTools\PowershellScripts\createfoldersandcollections.ps1

Set-Location : Cannot find path 'E:\SCCMTools\PowershellScripts\createfoldersandcollections.ps1' because it does not ex

ist.

At line:1 char:3

+ cd <<<<  E:\SCCMTools\PowershellScripts\createfoldersandcollections.ps1

+ CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (E:\SCCMTools\Po...collections.ps1:String) [Set-Location], ItemNotFoundE

xception

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.SetLocationCommand

PS C:\Windows\system32> cd e:\

PS E:\> SCCMtools\PowershellScripts\createfoldersandcollections

The term 'SCCMtools\PowershellScripts\createfoldersandcollections' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function,

script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is c

orrect and try again.

At line:1 char:56

+ SCCMtools\PowershellScripts\createfoldersandcollections <<<<

+ CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (SCCMtools\Power...sandcollections:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

PS E:\> dir sccmtools

Directory: E:\sccmtools

Mode                LastWriteTime     Length Name

----                -------------     ------ ----

d----         8/11/2012  10:43 AM            Monitoring pack for power management

d----         3/03/2013   1:09 PM            powershell scripts

d----        12/12/2012   5:11 PM            Report Viewer Redistributable

-a---        13/12/2012   5:39 PM    1561354 SCCM installation.docx

PS E:\> powershell scripts\createfoldersandcollections

The term 'scripts\createfoldersandcollections' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or ope

rable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again

At line:1 char:36

+ scripts\createfoldersandcollections <<<<

+ CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (scripts\createfoldersandcollections:String) [], CommandNotFoundExceptio

n

PS E:\> 'powershell scripts\createfoldersandcollections'

powershell scripts\createfoldersandcollections

PS E:\> Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned

Execution Policy Change

The execution policy helps protect you from scripts that you do not trust. Changing the execution policy might expose

you to the security risks described in the about_Execution_Policies help topic. Do you want to change the execution

policy?

[Y] Yes  [N] No  [S] Suspend  [?] Help (default is "Y"):

PS E:\> "Y"

Y

PS E:\> .\CreateFoldersAndCollections.ps1 .\FolderAndCollections_Software_Updates.xml

The term '.\CreateFoldersAndCollections.ps1' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or opera

ble program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

At line:1 char:34

+ .\CreateFoldersAndCollections.ps1 <<<<  .\FolderAndCollections_Software_Updates.xml

+ CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (.\CreateFoldersAndCollections.ps1:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

PS E:\> 'powershell scripts\createfoldersandcollections'>.\CreateFoldersAndCollections.ps1 .\FolderAndCollections_Softwa

re_Updates.xml

Unexpected token '.\FolderAndCollections_Software_Updates.xml' in expression or statement.

At line:1 char:127

+ 'powershell scripts\createfoldersandcollections'>.\CreateFoldersAndCollections.ps1 .\FolderAndCollections_Software_Up

dates.xml <<<<

+ CategoryInfo          : ParserError: (.\FolderAndColl...are_Updates.xml:String) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordExc

eption

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnexpectedToken

PS E:\> powershell scripts\createfoldersandcollections> .\CreateFoldersAndCollections.ps1 .\FolderAndCollections_Softwar

e_Updates.xml

The term 'scripts\createfoldersandcollections>' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or op

erable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try agai

n.

At line:1 char:37

+ scripts\createfoldersandcollections> <<<<  .\CreateFoldersAndCollections.ps1 .\FolderAndCollections_Software_Updates.

xml

+ CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (scripts\createfoldersandcollections>:String) [], CommandNotFoundExcepti

on

PS E:\> .\CreateFoldersAndCollections .\FolderAndCollections_Software_Updates

The term '.\CreateFoldersAndCollections' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable

program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

At line:1 char:30

+ .\CreateFoldersAndCollections <<<<  .\FolderAndCollections_Software_Updates

+ CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (.\CreateFoldersAndCollections:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

PS E:\> '.\CreateFoldersAndCollections.ps1 .\FolderAndCollections_Software_Updates.xml'

.\CreateFoldersAndCollections.ps1 .\FolderAndCollections_Software_Updates.xml

PS E:\> .\CreateFoldersAndCollections .\FolderAndCollections_Software_Updates.xml

The term '.\CreateFoldersAndCollections' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable

program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

At line:1 char:30

+ .\CreateFoldersAndCollections <<<<  .\FolderAndCollections_Software_Updates.xml

+ CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (.\CreateFoldersAndCollections:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

------------------------

• Edited by mkhan100 Wednesday, March 6, 2013 2:17 AM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 2:15 AM
  • Hi,

Please try below commands:

PS C:\Windows\system32> cd E:\SCCMTools

Then type:

.\PowershellScripts\createfoldersandcollections.ps1

Regards,

Yan Li

Cataleya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 8:17 AM
  • I have managed to make the command you are suggesting to work

PS E:\> 'powershell scripts\createfoldersandcollections'

powershell scripts\createfoldersandcollections

But I cannot make the last command to work. According to the guide(http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6799-using-system-center-2012-configuration-manager-part-9-deploying-monthly-updates/), this command, suppose to run

.\CreateFoldersAndCollections.ps1 .\FolderAndCollections_Software_Updates.xml

As you can see from my previous reply, that I am getting errors in all combination of that command but when I try the last combination, nothing is happening. It just sit there

PS E:\> '.\CreateFoldersAndCollections.ps1' '.\FolderAndCollections_Software_Updates.xml' 

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:56 PM