none
Server Manager Remote Management RRS feed

• General discussion

• Starting with Windows Server 2008 R2, you can use Server Manager to perform most management tasks on remote computers. This feature provides the administrators with the freedom to manage multiple servers from one single machine (running either Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2).

The purpose of this post is to start a discussion around any issues/questions or feedback related to this feature. If you have any issues (such as setting up machines for remote management), feedback on the feature or questions related to Server Manager Remote Management please feel free to post here.

Saqib Akhtar - MSFT

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 12:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Saqib, I am putting together a 2008 R2 build, and would like to enable Server Manager Remote Management, how is the best way to do this in an unattended/scripted fashion.  For info I currently have an MDT 2010 task to build the reference server

Thanks

Jon
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 1:53 PM
  • Found it! use winrm at a command prompt (see KB976839)
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:01 PM
  • Hi Jon,

I am glad that you found your answer. To fully enable the Server Manager Remote Management experience you can execute the "Configure-SMRemoting.ps1" script from Windows PowerShell. You can use the "-File" parameter for Windows PowerShell to execute the "Configure-SMRemoting.ps1" script in an unattended/scripted fashion. An example of the "-File" parameter is given below:

PowerShell.exe -File Configure-SMRemoting.ps1 -Force

Note that admin privileges are required in order to execute the script.

Thanks,
    Saqib

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:22 PM
  • Is it possible to connect Server manager to Windows Server 2008 (pre-R2)?
    There was an announcement somewhere that there will be an update for that OS, including winrm 2.0, but the link was dead then... Any news on that?
    The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it. Michelangelo
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 9:16 AM
  • Hi Saqib,

When I go to the "Configure Server Manager Remote Management" in The Server Manager Homepage and choose "Enable remote management of this server from other computers" is that exactely the same (and only) enabling WinRM? Is it the equivalent of the command "WinRM qc"? I noticed when I execute "WinRM qc" that WinRM is running but when you go to this "Configure Server Manager Remote Management" it is still not on enabled so I am a bit confused about the difference.

The protocols/services that the RSAT tools to communicate with a server are something else?

Thanks

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:35 AM
  • The "Configure Server Manager Remote Management" option enables the following:

1. Required Firewall ports for Remote Firewall and Event Log management
    2. WinRM

These things combined result in the "Enable remote mangement of this server from other computers" checkbox being enabled. Running "WinRM qc" is only one part of enabling remoting for Server Manager.

Thanks,
    Saqib

Saturday, May 1, 2010 6:16 PM
  • So... This discussion is pretty old. But what I would like is step-by-step instructions on what to do on the server to enable this feature (I'm assuming that's the power script stuff mentioned here). And I would also like step-by-step instructions what to do on the client computer, whether Win7 or Win2K8 Server, all including whatever downloads or other configuration tools that are necessary.

You mention that the firewall is configured as part of the power script. I'm assuming that's the software firewall on the server itself. Are there any other ports that need to be opened on the hardware (router) firewall that haven't been mentioned here?

Thanks in advance for all help you might offer.

Noel Stanford Oveson
    jeremyNLSO
    CNE, CLSE, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP
    Berlin, Germany

• Edited by ArchiTech89 Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:51 PM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:50 PM