none
How to setup biometric login inside a domain RRS feed

• Question

• We recently got a few new laptops in our office that come with fingerprint scanners on them. We wanted to enable biometric logon so that we can use the fingerprint readers to authenticate to the domain. I've tried to setup the group policy rules for this but they arent working currently. Has anyone had success setting this up that might be able to give me help on how to set it up on our domain?
    Monday, December 11, 2017 2:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    What system is used on the users’ laptops? If users are using windows 10, please have a try to manually enable windows hello feature from the control panel of computers and see if it helps.
    How to Set Up Windows Hello Fingerprint Login
    https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/set-windows-hello-fingerprint-login
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    >> I've tried to setup the group policy rules for this but they arent working currently.
    What rules are configured? And please check if the group policy is applied successfully to laptops by running gprsult /r command.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:33 AM
  • They are windows 10 laptops and does the hello window need to be enabled on the laptops or the server itself?

The rules that i made in the group policy were the allow the use of biometrics, allow the users to log on using biometrics, allow domain users to long on using biometrics and specify timeout for fast user switching events.

Im also assuming i run the gprsult /r command on the laptops?

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 7:18 PM
  • Hey!

So Windows Hello should work out of the box without special GPO applied to it. Users can individually go through the Windows Hello setup and protect their domain credentials through biometrics. That, however, is not yet Windows Hello _for Business_, that requires backend infrastructure changes.

Having said that -- what settings did you create/apply in a GPO? Did you link it to the respective OU with users or computers (depending on whether it's User Configuration or Computer Configuration)?

Thanks,

Florian

The views and opinions expressed in my postings do NOT necessarily correlate with the ones of my friends, family or my employer. Let's give the thread opener a chance to mark an answer themselves.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 7:30 PM
  • under computer configuration i went into administrative templates>windows components>Biometrics and then enabled the four options in their.
    Wednesday, December 13, 2017 8:04 PM
  • Hi,
    Please run the gpresult /h c:\result.html command on laptop to see if the policy rules are applied successfully.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 15, 2017 2:18 AM
  • I got the results and the policys are enabled but im unable to configure it on the user end.

• Edited by Bgulack Friday, December 15, 2017 3:22 PM
    Friday, December 15, 2017 3:12 PM
  • Hi,
    Why unable to do that? Are the settings missing or greyed out? Or are you lack of access to laptop? Please offer us more details, thank you.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Monday, December 18, 2017 7:46 AM
  • The options are grayed out on the users computer so i cant enable enable the fingerprint reader.
    Tuesday, December 19, 2017 4:38 PM
  • bump
    Thursday, December 28, 2017 3:11 PM