none
Windows Server 2016: DHCP Reservation overwrites scope options set for PXE RRS feed

• Question

• Hi dear DHCP Experts :)

We recently came to face an issue where we have to boot to different boot files, depending if systems are uefi or bios configured.
    We found an easy fix for this via the DHCP Server Policies. This works, as long as the pxe booted client does NOT have a DHCP IP Reservation.
    As soon as it has one, we receive the error that the machine is unable to find said bootfile names. This is tested with multiple different clients. Always same results
    Is this a known issue and if yes, are there any fixes for this? I couldn't find anything so far for this particular issue.

I hope someone can help me here :)
    Regards,
    Seenjiroy
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 8:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>We found an easy fix for this via the DHCP Server Policies. This works, as long as the pxe booted client does NOT have a DHCP IP Reservation.

How did you configure the DHCP option?

Are your WDS and DHCP on the same server?

Are your client and WDS server in the same subnet?

If yes, you don’t need to configure DHCP options,

If not, you need to configure the DHCP relay agent on the router to forward the DHCP message from clients to the WDS server.

Here is a familiar thread that been discussed before, you can have a look about the configuration:

WDS service setup.

You can also try to install the latest patch to check if the problem is solved.

Hope this can help you, if you have anything unclear, please let me know.

Have a nice day!

Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 9:26 AM
  • Hi Ellen

I should maybe explain a bit. The PXE Server is not a WDS its a linux machine.

Clients are in the same vlan.

I configured DHCP Options 066 and 067 so that it points to the linux server and asks for the boot file. But i changed that and made it a policy so that, depending on the vendor name it changes to uefi or bios settings.

This works but IP Reservation seem to overwrite this.

Is there any fix?

Best regards,

Pkey

Thursday, November 14, 2019 10:39 AM