DHCP Scope Options not change RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have Windows server 2008 R2. I recently moved WINS servers to another server, so I made the change on DHCP Scope Options for 044 WINS/NBNS servers. However a few days after the change, the DHCP Scope Options for 044 WINS/NBNS servers changed back to the old servers.

Did I miss anything? I went to DHCP, opened Server Options, changed 044 WINS/NBNS servers to the new server IP. I didn't touch 046 WINS/NBT Node Type which is 0x8.

Please help!

Thanks in advance!

Grace

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 4:11 PM

All replies

• I found out the problem. We actually have two DHCP servers. They won't sync with each other, so I changed one DHCP server not the other one.

Grace

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 3:33 PM
  • If you have two DHCP servers not syncing with each other, turn one of them off.. or you will end up with all sorts of issues.. You can't run two DHCP servers on the same subnet.. Trust me, turn one off asap.. 

Side note, there's no reason to run WINS any longer unless you are using very old systems on your network.. Everything should work fine with DNS at this point.. Assuming you have Windows 2000 or newer or Linux/Unix systems that are from 2001 to current.. 

Rob

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 7:13 PM