none
Server Cleanup Wizard and Replica servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

This might be a stupid question, but what happens when I run the server cleanup wizard on my parent WSUS server. Is the cleanup also populated to my replica servers or do i need to run the cleanup wizard on al the replica servers as well ?

Thanks

Monday, November 24, 2008 9:32 AM

Answers

• The cleanup wizard is a per-server operation, the cleanup is not populated to your replica servers. You will need to run the cleanup wizard on the replica servers as well.

Furthermore, although not well documented, you need to be especially observant of the replica server interactions while running the SCW on servers in a replica environment.

Run the SCW on the master server first. If you run the SCW on replica servers, and then a synchronization is performed before the SCW is run on the master server, metadata and content could be resynchronized, and then orphaned when the SCW removes it from the master server.

Be sure that the replica servers have completed synchronization, reporting rollup, and all downloads before running the SCW on any server. Although highly unlikely, it is possible that a synchronization or download in progress could be disrupted by results of the SCW on the master server. More likely it'll just cause everything to run exponentially slower at both ends.

Do not run the SCW on one end of a replica stream without also running it at the other end. Doing so results in the replica(s) and master server being out-of-sync with regard to update metadata.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP(x2), MCTS(x5), MCP(x7), MCBMSP
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    • Marked as answer by Xadec Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:45 AM
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 4:49 PM