No IP Address returned by Get-VMNetworkAdapter RRS feed

• Question

• I have a few virtual machines running Centos 6.5 (kernel 2.6, integration tools 3.5) on Hyper-V Windows 2012 R2. It looks like after the machine is up and running for 'sometime', the Hyper-V user interface, under Networking tab, doesn't show the IP Address of the machine. I tried to get the IP Address via Get-VMNetworkAdapter and it returns with no value.

I restarted the hv_kvp_daemon on these machines, and after that for some machines, I could get the IP address either via Hyper-V user interface or via Get-VMNetworkAdapter, but for others I couldn't - both methods (PowerShell/UI) would not return IpAddress address. If I restart the machine, I was able to get the IpAddress.

A couple of questions:

1. Is there some way of finding out what might be going wrong? Any suggestions?

2. Is there any other service/daemon on Linux machine that needs to be restarted to reset the connection between Hyper-V and Linux Virtual Machine?

Thanks

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 8:32 PM

All replies

• This is likely to be a known problem with the Hyper-V Key/Value Pair mechanism.  The problem is on the Linux side, and there are fixes to the LIS drivers available in the main Linux kernel source code base, but these fixes have not propagated to individual Linux distros such as CentOS 6.5.  But even with these fixes, we're not seeing the problem completely solved in our internal stress tests of the KVP mechanism, so there are Microsoft engineers working to further debug and isolate the problem.

Once we feel like we have the problem completely solved, we will figure out how to distribute the fixes to specific Linux distros that customers may be running.

Michael Kelley, Lead Program Manager, Open Source Technology Center

Saturday, October 4, 2014 4:16 PM
  • Hi,

I also agree with Michael.

For you :

1. Their is nothing wrong from Admin side this is a Known issue (Microsoft working on it)

2. You need to install some Drivers fix on our VM Guest to communicate with the VM Host. Following link is available for Linux forum http://www.linuxforums.org/

Regards, Koustov Choudhury

Saturday, October 4, 2014 4:32 PM
  • @Micheal Kelley - Thank you so much for the update. How would I know that this has been fixed? Is there place I can monitor or get notified once the fix is available?

Monday, October 6, 2014 4:08 PM
  • @Koustov Choudhury - Thanks for the response. Is there any particular link that you are referring to? I looked around on linuxforums.org but couldn't find much information.
    Monday, October 6, 2014 5:26 PM
  • Hi,

As per my update. Microsoft will soon released a New Hyper-v Update which can resolved this issue. Till than you can ask for the fix pack on any Linux/ Unix forums for farther help.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 4:18 AM
  • Wednesday, October 8, 2014 1:43 PM
  • Hi,

"I believe Microsoft is right and you have to wait until they update their paravirtualized drivers for linux, because these provide the VM IP to the hypervisor.
    There are no other pv drivers for linux on a hyper-v that I know of. "    - linuxforums

I have checked your post and they are also suggest to update the Hyper-v Drivers for communicating with Guest Linux VM's.

So the only thing I can suggest you that to wait for the next Release. Or if you have any communication issue from Guest VM to outside network then let me know !

Thursday, October 9, 2014 4:11 AM