none
Force install of updates. RRS feed

• Question

•  WSUS 3.0 sp1

All is working correctly with my install. Except when the workstation download the updates they install some, reboot but don't continue to install the rest of the updates. If I login to the workstation as an admin I get the update notification on the task bar it tells me updates are waiting to install. I want the system install all updates when they are deployed - not sure what is stoppoing this from happening.

Group Policy is configured as below. 

Configure AU    Enabled

configure AUing    4 - Auto download and schedule the install

schedule install day  0 - Every day    

schedule install time  00:00

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 6:32 PM

Answers

• This is normal behavior. If one or more of the updates approved/downloaded are Exclusive or Mandatory updates, this will cause the updates to be split into batches. Mandatory first, followed by Exclusive, followed by the rest.

The first batch will be installed at the next available installation time, and the system restarted.

After the system restarts and their are no Mandatory updates pending installation, the Exclusive update(s) (if they exist) will be scheduled for installation at the next scheduled installation time. If there are no Exclusive updates pending, then the remainder of the non-Mandatory/non-Exclusive updates will be scheduled for installation at the next scheduled installation time.

After the next installation time, if there are any remaining updates (e.g. there was one or more Exclusive updates to be installed), they will be scheduled for the next scheduled installation time.

The whole key here is that there's one restart per scheduled installation event, and installations only occur at the scheduled installation time.

You can always override this by installing updates interactively, or by assigning expired deadlines to the updates, which will force the client system to go through install/restart cycles until all deadlined updates are successfully installed.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP(x2), MCTS(x5), MCP(x7), MCBMSP
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 6:40 PM

All replies

• This is normal behavior. If one or more of the updates approved/downloaded are Exclusive or Mandatory updates, this will cause the updates to be split into batches. Mandatory first, followed by Exclusive, followed by the rest.

The first batch will be installed at the next available installation time, and the system restarted.

After the system restarts and their are no Mandatory updates pending installation, the Exclusive update(s) (if they exist) will be scheduled for installation at the next scheduled installation time. If there are no Exclusive updates pending, then the remainder of the non-Mandatory/non-Exclusive updates will be scheduled for installation at the next scheduled installation time.

After the next installation time, if there are any remaining updates (e.g. there was one or more Exclusive updates to be installed), they will be scheduled for the next scheduled installation time.

The whole key here is that there's one restart per scheduled installation event, and installations only occur at the scheduled installation time.

You can always override this by installing updates interactively, or by assigning expired deadlines to the updates, which will force the client system to go through install/restart cycles until all deadlined updates are successfully installed.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 6:40 PM
  • Thanks Lawrence.

So If I understand you correctly. If set an immediate date, say today,  for the deadline then my workstations will just install all my updates as per the process you listed?

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:17 PM
  • Yes... for as many restart cycles as it takes.

Here's two articles describing a process I performed a couple of years ago to demonstrate taking a machine from install to XP SP2 in 2 hours. You may find it of some help.

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com/articles/010.htm

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com/articles/012.htm

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:30 PM
  •    Again, thank you Lawrence. Worked as you said it would.
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:46 PM