none
Unity3d run as service does not find Direct3d on Windows Server 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are trying to setup a Continuous Integration (CI) server (Atlassian Bamboo) running as a service on Windows Server 2008 R2. The CI service runs a Nant task which in turn executes Unity (unity3d.com) to create a build of our application. Unity requires Direct3d 9 for this.

I can log into the Windows Server 2008 R2 per remote desktop and run Nant from the command line to create the build with Unity. This works without a problem. I can also run the resulting application which requires Direct3d. This indicates that Direct3d/DirectX and the NVIDIA drivers installed correctly.

The difficulty arises when we do this through the CI Windows service (Bamboo->Nant->Unity) through its web interface. Here Unity fails to start because it can't access the Direct3d 9 functionality. Somehow Direct3d is not available to this Windows service.

I've searched the web and found a Microsoft page that states that Direct3d is not supported for services at all. This seems to be only partially true, because other sources claimed that they are using Unity and Direct3d in a similar setup. But they are using other CI solutions, e.g. TeamCity.

What we tried so far:

• Running the service with the 'Local System' or the 'Administrator' account (Server Manager -> Services -> Properties of Service -> Log on -> Log on as...). [did not help]
    • Some suggested to check 'Allow service to interact with desktop' (Server Manager -> Services -> Properties of Service -> Log on -> Log on as...) [did not help]
    • Others indicated that in Windows Server 2003 you should drag the hardware performance slider under the display settings Troubleshooting section, all the way to the right. But this section is apparently disabled by the NVIDIA drivers and I can't map the functionality to a corresponding option in the NVIDIA settings. [can't apply]
    • I also went as far as enabling the Desktop Experience and Aero. [did not help]

I am pretty new to Windows Server 2008 but I guess the reason has to do with the Windows service (CI server Bamboo) and that you need to allow it access to graphics acceleration.

Please respond if you can give me a hint on how to solve this.

Regards,

Helmut

• Edited by Helmut Duregger Wednesday, April 18, 2012 7:46 AM made title easier to understand
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 2:50 PM

Answers

All replies