none
changing driver results in 'printer driver is not installed' error on server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm facing this strange problem.

First I installed a two drivers:
    HP Color Inkjet cp1700 and HP color Laserjet 2550 PS.
    Then I installed a printer, using an existing driver (one of the two above).
    So far no problems.
    But when I change the driver to the other driver installed on the server (in the advanced tab of the printer properties) I get this strange error:
    "The 'HP color inkjet cp1700' printer driver is not installed on this computer. Some printer properties will not be accessible unless you install the printer driver. Do you want to install the driver now?" Yes/No
    No matter what you choose, from now on this message keeps poping up when you enter printer properties page.

Both the drivers are default drivers, installed with server 2008 (not downloaded from the HP website). A lot of other HP drivers (on server 2008 DVD) have the same problem, but not all of them.

I tested this on server 2008 standard and enterprise edition, x86 and x64. All the same problem.
    I tried to use the 'standard' way to add/manage printers by control panel > printers. And I used Printer Management. All the same.
    Sharing the printer or not, does not make any difference.

Are there people having the same problem? Or maybe already a way to solve this?

Thanks,
    Dirk

Friday, February 20, 2009 3:26 PM

Answers

• Yes
    This is a defect in the HP drivers when upgrading the printer registry data to the new driver.  The driver sets a registry value to 0

Change HPTrayCount to 12 in PrintDriverData

Now you can open properties without the print driver believing it is not installed.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 5:28 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Dirk,

Thanks for your feedback.

According to my further research, I have confirmed that the issue can be reproduce on my side on Windows Server 2008. A lot of HP printers are affected by this. We are sorry for causing the incontinence to you. Our product team has been aware of this issue and it will be fixed in the next version of Windows.

Thanks for the understandings.

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 7:46 AM
  • Yes the fix from HP was never added to the drivers that are on Windows Update.

HP did have a fix for this in 2008 but the fix was never included in Windows

Alan Morris formerly with Windows Printing Team

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 6:20 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

From your description, I understand that you have problem with error message “printer driver is not installed on this computer, some printer properties will not be accessible unless you install the printer driver”

Base on my experience, this issue may caused by incompatible printer drivers. We should remove the existing printer drivers on the server. Please refer to the following steps:

1.      Logon to the sever with administrator account.

2.      Click “Start”, and “Control Panel”

3.      Open “Printers”, then click “file”, ”Server Properties”, navigate to “drivers”: delete all the drivers present (they will reinstall again when used)

If there is still a problem also remove the registry entry for the printers. You may navigate to the followings and delete all the entries.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT X86\Drivers\Version-3]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows X64\Drivers\Version-3]

In addition, I suggest you update the print driver from HP Website. You may refer to the following link:

http://www.hp.com/#Support

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Monday, February 23, 2009 3:57 AM
  • You're right on the error message I got.
    Strange thing is, this happens on a fresh installed OS. I use the drivers installed/packaged with the OS. On most of the printers HP does not provide a driver I can use, yet.

I also tried to remove the driver (and package). This does not solve the problem. By the way. It is not possible to remove the package, I think because it is part of the OS installation.

Regards,
    Dirk

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 10:59 AM
  • Hi,

As far as I know, this issue may occur when the printer driver stored on the server was corrupt. I recommend you delete the print monitor and reinstall printers on the print server. Please refer to the following steps:

1.Delete 3rd-party language monitor.

- Open registry.

- Locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors
    - Delete sub keys "PCL hpz3llhn”

- Restart "Print Spooler" service.

2. Configure the printers to use built-in printer processors.

- Right click the printer and choose properties.

- Select “Advanced” tab and click “Printer processor” button.

- In the list, choose “WinPrint” and data type as “RAW”.

In addition, I’d like to confirm how do you change the driver to the other driver installed on the server? Would you please help us take a screenshot? (Please send to tfwst@microsoft.com )

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:49 AM
  • Hi,
    I followed the steps in your post. But the error is still there.
    If your right on the corrupted driver, then I assume you should be able to generate the error easel. I did all my testing on a new installed system, using the build-in drivers. I re-installed a few times, standard and enterprise edition, 32 and 64 bits. All the different OS's produce the same error.
    I'm wondering if I did something wrong, or if this is a general problem.

I send you the screendump you requested.

I also submitted an incident on our premier support contract. I will keep this post updated with the results of the incident.

Thanks,
    Dirk
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 10:35 AM
  • Hi Dirk,

According to my further research, I have confirmed that the issue can be reproduce on my side on Windows Server 2008. A lot of HP printers are affected by this. We are sorry for causing the incontinence to you. Our product team has been aware of this issue and it will be fixed in the next version of Windows.

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 7:46 AM
  • Hi Nick,

Just wanted to let you know I am having the same issue as Dirk has.

Regards,
    Jurgen
    Monday, March 2, 2009 12:50 PM
  • Nick Gu - MSFT said:

Hi Dirk,

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT

Having the same issue.  Tried using the HP UPD, but it didn't want to see to allow proper usage of the trays and now have tried to put back things to using the original print driver to no avail.   This has put me in a rather bit of a bind.

Fortunately, this has merely cause inconvenience as opposed to incontinence.
    • Proposed as answer by Todd.West Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:30 PM
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 10:16 PM
  • According to my further research, I have confirmed that the issue can be reproduce on my side on Windows Server 2008. A lot of HP printers are affected by this. We are sorry for causing the incontinence to you. Our product team has been aware of this issue and it will be fixed in the next version of Windows.

Nick Gu - MSFT

Have discovered the same problem during a manual transition of 400 queues from a W2k3 print server to a W2k8 print server.

I found that in order to get around this, i have to delete the corrupt queue, and recreate it from scratch with the updated driver.

When you say "it will be fixed in the next version of windows" are we talking about a service pack, Server 2008 R2, or Server 2012?

Thanks

Mark
    Friday, July 3, 2009 4:08 PM
  • Seeing same issues myself and am curious as to Mark's question as well.  Are we talking R2 or Server 2012?

Thank you,

- Tyler
    Tyler McLaughlin
    Monday, July 6, 2009 6:30 PM
  • We are facing the same problem on Windows Server 2003 R2 (Enterprise Edition SP2).
    Additional info: When we right click on a concerning printer --> properties, then we are also seeing this error message. And not only with HP printers, but also with others, like e.g. Canon iR 2270.

We did not see this faulty behaviour in former times. It began sometime in the past 12 months I think. In this period we only installed some more printer drivers and critical MS patches and hotfixes. nothing else.

Hope there will be a solution very soon, because this is a highly productive printserver of one of our customers!

Thanks and regards
    Hans

We solved our problem. Shame on me. Just logging off from the printserver and logging in again helped...
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 7:55 AM
  • Hi all
    I have this issue with print server 2008 sp2
    To solve this to ways:
    1. when replacing the driver go to the package that you download from The vendor and select the ini file (do not select from the default driver list).
    Make youer self a folder with all the print drivers on the server.
    2. Delete the printer queue and creat it again and choose the driver from the default list.

notice ..
    For the second choice the driver must be installed  before on the server (add the driver from the package ini) .This way any time you delete the printer queue you can select from the default driver list.

The problem does not exist on server 2008 sp1
    I have test it on 3 server 2008 sp2

Regards oded b.
    Mcitp server  2008
    Friday, July 24, 2009 4:29 PM
  • Hello everybody,

This is a problem for us as well.  This is happening both on WS2008 SP1 and WS2008 SP2.  I have verified that it is happening with HP print drivers that are shipped with the OS, but didnt' try to reproduce it for any other Makes\Models. 

What\When is the next version of Windows that I see from above where this will be fixed?

Thanks!
    Dr. Z
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 7:15 PM
  • I just came across this problem today with a HP Color LaserJet 4600. PL6 and PL5 would not work and the only UPS one to work was UPS v5.0 if that helps.
    Friday, September 25, 2009 10:02 PM
  • Does anyone know if there is a fix for this yet?  As a work around for those as frustrated by it as I am:  you can recreate the printer with the driver you wan to use and it will work.  The bug only appears when changing the driver.

Thanks,
    Daniel
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 3:50 PM
  • Yes
    This is a defect in the HP drivers when upgrading the printer registry data to the new driver.  The driver sets a registry value to 0

Change HPTrayCount to 12 in PrintDriverData

Now you can open properties without the print driver believing it is not installed.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 5:28 PM
    Answerer
  • I've run all Windows updates and have seen no change.  When you say Windows update, version 6733... are you referring to R2?  Is there any way to ingetrate this into my current print servers without having to modify the registry for 700+ print queues...?

Tyler McLaughlin
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 5:43 PM
  • Windows Update uses the PnPId to identify print drivers that have updates.  I don't have a print server that actually has a printer attached so there is not a PnP ID associated with the print queues I share.  Many of the printers I have on test servers don't even point to a real device, the data does to a port monitor that goes through the print rendering path then deletes the data.

The driver version on Windows Update is 7233 BUT it looks like these drivers also set the value to 0 and pop the error.  I'll send mail to the HP driver developer and confirm if he thinks the fix was included in this driver set.  HP did fix this for the drivers included in Server 2008 R2 but very few LaserJets are covered.

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?

If you have an HP driver that sets the value to 0, you will need to modify the value.  The HP drivers will still tell you they are not installed when the value 0
    Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 6:50 PM
    Answerer
  • The fix for this is not available on Windows Update.  Creating new printers will not have a problem.  It's when the driver updates an existing printer, it creates a 0 value or sets an existing value to 0

HPTrayCount

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:22 PM
    Answerer
  • I have the same problem. On Windows Server 2003 R2 I have suddenly developed the following problem for ALL printers.

"The (insert your favourite printer here) printer driver is not installed on tihs computer. Some printer properties will not be accessible unless you install the printer driver. Do you want to install the driver now?

Regardless of what you choose, you will not get anywhere. Given that this seems to have suddenly started happening for every printer on this server.
    I was able to fix one Konica printer/plotter by hacking the registry/removing the printer reinstalling it. I'm NOT going to do that for every printer on this server. It's a print server, there's far too many.

Monday, February 22, 2010 2:31 AM
  • The issue in this thread is a defect in the HP print drivers included in Server 2008.  

Monday, February 22, 2010 3:03 AM
    Answerer
  • What if I edit the Prnhp001.inf of the HP x64 driver list file and copy the line of the PCL6 driver and make it an additional line of PCL 6, will that hurt anything?  If not, i am gonna hack away.  I only use the x86 drivers on the network, and they installed just fine during the migration, it's the x64 drivers i need to host the  printers.

Ug!

maybe i can merge the list with the windows 2k3 x64 hp file, and remove the duplicates, keeping the x64 listing for the drivers from 2k8 ?

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 2:35 PM
  • As was mentioned above:

On your Windows 2008 server, open the registry editor and change the HPTrayCount:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers\(printerName)\PrinterDriverData]

Set HPTray to 12 (hex, it'll show 18 in decimal). 

Note if you have 50 printers, you may have to do it 50 times.  On my server some said 0, and others were still set to 12.  I'm not sure why some changed and some did not.  The ones the still had 12 were not displaying any problems.

Scott

Network: It's not just a job, it's an OBSSESION!
    • Proposed as answer by RuddJ Friday, April 6, 2012 10:11 PM
    Friday, April 16, 2010 8:44 PM
  • As was mentioned above:

On your Windows 2008 server, open the registry editor and change the HPTrayCount:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers\(printerName)\PrinterDriverData]

Set HPTray to 12 (hex, it'll show 18 in decimal).

Note if you have 50 printers, you may have to do it 50 times.  On my server some said 0, and others were still set to 12.  I'm not sure why some changed and some did not.  The ones the still had 12 were not displaying any problems.

Scott

Network: It's not just a job, it's an OBSSESION!
    Friday, April 16, 2010 8:46 PM
  • If you do have 50 printers or so I have written a script to go through an change the number for all the HP printers that have it set to 0.

http://jrudd.org/wordpress/2010/05/17/hp-printers-printer-driver-is-not-installed-on-windows-2008-r2/

' For each Printer in Registry check if HPTrayCount exists and is set to 0, then set to 12

strKeyPath = "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers"
    strValueName = "HPTrayCount"
    inHPValue = 18 ' Is equal to Hex 12, makesprinter driver work.

'http://www.activexperts.com/activmonitor/windowsmanagement/adminscripts/registry/#EnumRegVals.htm
    const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002
    strComputer = "."
    Set StdOut = WScript.StdOut

Set oReg=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & _
    strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv")

' Get list of Printers
    oReg.EnumKey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, strKeyPath, arrSubKeys

For Each subkey In arrSubKeys
     ' Read in HP Tray value
     strPrintPath = strKeyPath & "\" & subkey & "\PrinterDriverData"
     oReg.GetDWORDValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,strPrintPath,strValueName,dwValue
     If Not IsNull (dwValue) And dwValue = 0 Then
      'If Exists and 0 then set it to a real value to make it work
      StdOut.WriteLine subkey & ": HP Tray: " & dwValue
      oReg.SetDWORDValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,strPrintPath,strValueName,inHPValue
     End If
    Next

• Proposed as answer by RuddJ Monday, July 26, 2010 2:39 AM
    Monday, May 17, 2010 5:47 AM
  • Hi All,

I thought I would add my experience to this issue as I have a problem along these lines that the above does not resolve.

I have a 2 x 2008 Server Core virtual print servers that are managed using 2008 server with Print Management installed. I use one print server for HP printers and the other for Kyocera printers.

I too experience the "print driver not installed" message when entering the properties of a printer that has recently been changed, my problem is that i am seeing the issue with the Kyocera drivers as well as the HP ones! The only fix for me at the moment is to delete the queue and recreate it! The kyocera queues do not have the above HPTrayCount reg key.

Not a clean solution when managing 200 + printers, can any one shed any light on this issue, will upgrading the print servers or management server to R2 solve the issue?

Any help is appreciated...

Andy

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:13 PM
  • The issue with the HP driver is a bug in one of the core HP binaries.   If the issue with Kyocera is also a driver issue, you would need to contact someone from Kyocera to track down the problem.

Having one of the HP driver developers on site in Redmond was of great benefit.  There is not a Kyocera contact in Redmond.  If the Kyocera driver is one that ships with Server 2003 and 2008, I can take a poke. 

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 11:37 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Alan,

Thanks for the quick response, I'm wondering if the issue is wider that first thought, I have seen the problem with the HP Universal print driver (not the inbuilt 2003/2008 one) and also with multiple versions of Kyocera KX driver again not the inbuilt one.

The workaround for both issues is to delete and re-add the queue, i'm going to test this with a 2008 R2 core print server to see if the issue still exists but if you have any other ideas or fancy having a look that would be appreciated.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:02 AM
  • I have some issues in my current client. The issues is affecting a couple of Windows 2008 R2 print servers with hundred of printers each and different HP print drivers.

I created a tool to list all printers affected, export results to a text file and fix the issue on affected printers.

The free tool is available at http://ctxadmtools.musumeci.com.ar/ctxhotfixes

Guillermo

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 2:47 PM
  • Based on RuddJ's idea, here is a very simple Powershell version that will do the same fix. Thank you to Alan Morris and RuddJ.

$keypath = "HKLM:\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\print\printers"
    $a = get-childitem $keypath
    foreach ($printer in $a)
    {
     $b = get-itemproperty -path HKLM:\$printer\printerdriverdata
     if ($b.hptraycount -eq 0)
     {
      write-host "Correcting Invalid Tray Setting for Printer" $printer.pschildname
      #alan recommends setting the value to "12", but I have no printers with 12 trays
      #when set to "3", the printers work just fine.
      set-itemproperty -path HKLM:\$printer\printerdriverdata -name hptraycount -value 3
     }
    }

Copy the above text into notepad, save the file as "hpregfix.ps1", and then you can run it from powershell like so: .\hpregfix.ps1
    • Proposed as answer by Ganellon Thursday, September 30, 2010 6:05 AM
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 6:04 AM
  • We had the same problem with Windows 2003 R2 after an installation of the new HP P4014dn drivers.

Changing the registry HPTraycount value from  0 to 9 fixed for me.

Thanks!

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 6:34 PM
  • Have you tried the Depends® patch? 

Seriously though, how about the same issue on a 2k8r2 geo cluster?  How can one safely edit the cluster driver data in the registry to accomplish this? 

Mac MacAnanny - Engineer - DoD - Office of the Secretary of Defense - DoD

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:39 PM
  • We are sorry for causing the incontinence to you. Our product team has been aware of this issue and it will be fixed in the next version of Windows.
    Would that be server 8 or the next next version?

Mac MacAnanny - Engineer - DoD - Office of the Secretary of Defense - DoD

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:40 PM
  • OMG LOL, wouldn't be the first time a server issue has caused this.

FYI...  HPTraycount fixed it up for me...

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 10:06 PM
  • Problem still there with Server 2012 R2.......
    Monday, April 11, 2016 4:01 AM
  • Yes the fix from HP was never added to the drivers that are on Windows Update.

HP did have a fix for this in 2008 but the fix was never included in Windows

Alan Morris formerly with Windows Printing Team

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 6:20 AM
    Answerer
  • I have about 250 printers on our print server.  Not all my HP printers has the entry "HPTrayCount".  I have tired adding it but this has not helped.  We've only had 4 reported so far and I noticed they all are "Type 4 -User Mode". I have removed them and added them back as "Type 3 - User Mode" and they seem to work.  I need to know a better fix (I wish the Tray count thing worked for me).

Monday, December 31, 2018 8:45 PM