Windows server 2008 R2 not seen RRS feed

• Question

• I have a windows R2 server that is not seen on the network. It is in the domain and is not restricted in any way that I can see. When viewing the entire network all servers show but this one. Any Ideas??
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 4:30 PM

Answers

• Hello,

as Marcin mentioned, the computer browser must be started, which is disabled by default since the start from Windows server 2008, also NetBios over TCP/IP on the NIC must be enabled.

Network discovery, also new within Windows server 2008 and higher, set to enabled my help.

Beside this the WINS server can be used if network browsing over multiple subnets is required.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 8:50 PM
  • If everything doesn't work, try updating the NIC drivers & make sure server is running with latest service pack & patches.

Regards  

Awinish Vishwakarma| CHECK MY BLOG

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:09 AM

All replies

• Start by disabling firewall and enabling Computer Browser on the server

If this doesn't resolve the issue, follow http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverDS/thread/bbf04bd0-00e4-45b9-9567-c6ee2d21dc8a

You might want to also take into account http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverDS/thread/a6cbc986-5f19-4af9-83b0-8c3df0915dc0/

hth
    Narcin

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 4:42 PM
  • Thanks Narcin,

I did check to insure I had both the other posts you sent as correct. Computer browser is on and I can see the server from one machine. Is there a time lag for this to take effect??

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 5:06 PM
  • Browsing tends to be relatively unreliable - and there is a delay involved. You could potentially use the Browstat utility to troubleshoot/manipulate it (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188305) - but the real question is why exacty do you rely so much on that server appearing in the Network view. There are better/more reliable methods of both monitoring and connecting to servers

hth
    Marcin

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 5:15 PM
  • Hi, please make sure you enforce the Netbios over TCP on that server and the client you are trying from
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:16 PM
  • Hello,

as Marcin mentioned, the computer browser must be started, which is disabled by default since the start from Windows server 2008, also NetBios over TCP/IP on the NIC must be enabled.

Network discovery, also new within Windows server 2008 and higher, set to enabled my help.

Beside this the WINS server can be used if network browsing over multiple subnets is required.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 8:50 PM
  • If everything doesn't work, try updating the NIC drivers & make sure server is running with latest service pack & patches.

Regards  

Awinish Vishwakarma| CHECK MY BLOG

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:09 AM
  • The Computer Browser service in Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 performs three processes. Collection of browsing information

Distribution of browsing information  

Servicing of browse client requests..

The same like as in windows 2008 also.. The WINS also the main part

Thanks and Regards,

Ganesan K

My Blog

• Edited by K.Ganesan Thursday, March 1, 2012 12:46 PM
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 5:03 AM
  • 'browstat' is not a recognized as an internal or external command,

I checked Net bios and I have fowolled the other suggustions as well but all to no avail.

Monday, May 23, 2011 12:30 PM